cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total RV length at Canadian border

ViperACR
Explorer
Explorer
I have some questions for anyone who has crossed into BC Canada recently with a large RV. I have a 45' pusher and I need to pull a trailer that is a total length of 23' so that is at least 68' total length maybe 69' with the receiver insert. I see that there is a 65.6' or 20 meter total length max from their web site. My question is do they check this and if they do how strict are they? I would hate to start my Alaska vacation with having to buy a new trailer in Washington and then leave my motorcycles there and only get to proceed with my Jeep. Any help would be appreciated .
12 REPLIES 12

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found out first hand how strict British Columbia is back in 1991 when I driven a rented 26 foot U-hault truck haulin my Mom's household goods from California and relocating her to Alaska with me....

Upon receiving the truck, I was only briefed on the requirement commuting thru Canada as they recognize the 26 foot truck as a commercial vehicle and therefore subjected to mandatory stops at every weigh station upon my route within Canada, in comparison not having to stop at any weigh station within the US....

So after entering Canada at the Huntington Border Station (Abbortsford) crossing into BC, I driven to Hope upon my first weigh station over the scales as they waived me thru, second weigh station at Williams Lake - same result as they waived me thru, then the potential nightmare hit at the Quesnal Weigh Station as this officer changed the green light to red as he instructed me to step out of the vehicle and asked me what I was haulin (household goods) and then asked me where my permit was....

I was like -permit ? ...the rig is well under 20 percent of the max GVWR I told the officer as in my mind I thought he was talking about some overweight permit....

This officer took the comment as being sarcastic as he demanded for my license, insurance and registration of the truck - then asked me where I first entered BC as I told him....

Then he explained to me how serious in nature these major offenses were upon eluding two weigh stations while on the road without a valid permit issued to haul personal belongings as I told him excuse me for interrupting but I was waived thru both weigh stations and was only informed to stop at the weigh stations within Canada according to the company that owns this rental, as they did not inform me of obtaining any permit to haul household goods with either.

The officer didn't want to hear none of that, while informing me that "if" you checked in the first weigh station at Hope like you claimed, the department there would have informed you to obtain a permit and display it on your windshield lower corner as required so therefore you will be cited for a $1500 fine for non compliance, as you still need to obtain a valid permit that totals $123 according to the personal belongings weight total you are hauling.

I asked him if I can speak to a supervisor as I apologize to him for not knowing about any requirement to have a permit issued to me, however I did not elude any weigh station like you claim because I would definitely have a permit if I had known about it as those other weigh stations had not informed me anything as they only signaled me to proceed thru.

Ten minutes later a supervisor in charge arrives as I plea about my case as simply not knowing about BC's permit requirement as I am on emergency leave and relocating my Mom to Alaska with me as she has some health issues (as I turn around seeing her smoke a cigarette which didn't go to well with the medical issue mentioning), but the supervisor had a heart and told the officer that inspected me not to cite but to issue the valid permit.

Before I obtained the permit, the officer checked all safety equipment and lighting, even checked every single marker light too just to make sure the truck was in compliance.

The permit was issued to me after another 30 minutes, and was also informed the permit was only valid for 7 days.

Seems to me BC has no waivers for out of province registered vehicles when it comes to vehicle enforcement, especially the incident that I went thru.

A few years ago I was told a story while in Canada that one day the Dawson Creek BC area had some new test phase checkpoint setup to where they were stopping larger private vehicles, namely light duty trucks with trailers and RV's in general as they had portable scales randomly checking any suspected overweight vehicles, as the first day alone they reported 97 percent of the vehicles they chosen for secondary inspection were not in weight compliance.

Since then, I also heard a couple stories of checkpoints where they stopped both private and commercial vehicles checking registration, insurance, and any other documents they ask for - just like all of Sue's posted messages to a tee related to this topic, and the past year or so reading other posts on RV.Net confirming BC's strict vehicle enforcement on more frequent random mandatory checkpoints for all vehicles subjected to inspection and compliance.

In the past three years of 2010, 2011, and 2012 I have not personally witnessed any random vehicle checkpoints upon my travels in BC.

So yeah, BC does not play when it comes to vehicle enforcement.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
ViperACR wrote:
I do not plan on double towing I will only have one trailer that has an 18 foot deck which is not very long. My biggest problem is my MH is 45' and it has a 15k# hitch so it is just length that's the problem as the trailer weight will be only half of what I am rated for. I guess I will just have to figure what I am willing to risk. This is just not a reasonable length for a large MH in my opinion but it is not my opinion that matters I know.

Check here The link takes you to the BC Vehicle Inspection Site. I am sure there will be a place you can ask you questions of the people who enforce the rules.

I met a CVSE officer a few years ago and they were at that time starting to check private vehicles as well as commercial.

Hope everythings works out for your trip.

ViperACR
Explorer
Explorer
I do not plan on double towing I will only have one trailer that has an 18 foot deck which is not very long. My biggest problem is my MH is 45' and it has a 15k# hitch so it is just length that's the problem as the trailer weight will be only half of what I am rated for. I guess I will just have to figure what I am willing to risk. This is just not a reasonable length for a large MH in my opinion but it is not my opinion that matters I know.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In B.C., it isn't uncommon for there to be safety checks along a major highway. EVERY vehicle must funnel through the safety check to have its paperwork checked. While one person checks the paperwork, others are checking the rig.

We drove everywhere in B.C. for years without encountering any safety checks. Now the past two years have been through a few. I think they've started some new policies that include checking every vehicle for safety problems and non-compliant paperwork.

We were stopped in 2011 at one of these on Hwy 97 south of Prince George. There was a half hour wait in line up before getting checked. Despite being a private vehicle and trailer, we were weighed to ensure we weren't over the truck or trailer's GVWR.

In June 2012 we were stopped at a safety check at the junction of the Alaska Highway and Cassiar Highway in Yukon. I was driving the F-250 towing a 23' flatdeck trailer with our household goods and DH was driving a car behind me. While one fellow checked my registration & insurance for truck and trailer, four others were checking the trailer, especially the hitch. Checked how well the load was secured too. And tires. Before letting me carry on, I was advised of a running light that was out but they had decided to not fine me because it was possible the light burned out on our trip up from Vancouver Island. DH's car was also checked - brakes, lights, exhaust system, etc.

That particular safety check went on for three continuous days, 24/7. Learned that later from a friend who was working overtime back in Whitehorse to cover for the officers at the safety check.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
michelb wrote:
Sinterior wrote:
Sue, I believe that if out of Province (and State) RV's meet their home weights and measures, they are ok in BC regardless of BC regs.
Have things changed?

While Provinces and States have reciprocity for licensing, I don't believe any of them have reciprocity for vehicles on the road (i.e. double trailer, trailer brake rules, max length, etc).

Just like radar detectors and hands free phone laws - doesn't matter what the law is where you are from, it's the law where you are driving that counts.

As far as the OPs original question. I think it's very uncommon for private vehicles to be stopped for length, weight, etc unless you're doing something blatantly wrong (e.g. total length > 80'), double towing where not permitted, etc.

I agree too, here in Quebec we have transport police who patrol for heavy vehicle infractions (this is apart from our provincial police). Anything to do with safety will be enforced; there is no reciprocity with other jurisdictions.

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
Sinterior wrote:
Sue, I believe that if out of Province (and State) RV's meet their home weights and measures, they are ok in BC regardless of BC regs.
Have things changed?

While Provinces and States have reciprocity for licensing, I don't believe any of them have reciprocity for vehicles on the road (i.e. double trailer, trailer brake rules, max length, etc).

Just like radar detectors and hands free phone laws - doesn't matter what the law is where you are from, it's the law where you are driving that counts.

As far as the OPs original question. I think it's very uncommon for private vehicles to be stopped for length, weight, etc unless you're doing something blatantly wrong (e.g. total length > 80'), double towing where not permitted, etc.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Double towing is a good example ... it might be lawful where you're from but not in B.C.

Alberta and Yukon both allow double towing with conditions, but not B.C. Therefore you can't double tow anything to Alaska.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Sue is right about BC, they have road checks here in Clearwater at least once a month and they don't let you away with nothing, local garbage truck the other day, new ford truck and emergency brake didn't work properly, parked and towed untill it was fixed, pretty harsh but you play by the rules in BC. If they 65 ft. that's what it will be not 68 or???, Don't matter what your state or province says????
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Sinterior wrote:
Have things changed?

I grew up in BC and don't ever remember this being the case.

If driving through the mountains I grew up in was unsafe for me to tow a 5th and boat, how could it be any safer for a tourist who doesn't know what is around the corner ?
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
Have things changed?
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The border agents don't enforce B.C.'s motor vehicle act. But the weigh scales and police do. If a weigh scale operator sees a non-compliant vehicle go by, they report it. There are Commercial Vehicle inspectors out and about as well who keep their eyes open for non-compliance, regardless of whether or not a vehicle is commercial.

There are random safety checks as well that stop all traffic to check paperwork and mechanical safety. Inspectors and police check everything to ensure a vehicle is in compliance. And they will weigh a rig if they think it is overweight. If a truck or trailer is over its GVWR, they'll make you park it until you can comply.

B.C. is strict. Penalties are harsh financially.
sue t.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
Come over and go thru Alberta, I run with a 42' pusher and an overall 28' trailer.
Just finished a five thousand mile trip yo Ontario and back with the Dodge Journey in the trailer, among many other things.
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car