cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground availability for next summer

familyman5
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing a motorhome and traveling cross-country this summer. Five years ago I took a similar trip and it was not a problem getting into campgrounds. Iโ€™ve heard that over the last several years camping has gotten much popular iand sites are hard to get. Can those of you who are out there now tell me what it looks like at the campgrounds. I am considering purchasing a 25 foot class C RV so that I can have access to more campgrounds. Do you think that I will have difficulty finding availability Iif I try to find campgrounds along the way or will I need to book well in advance? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely, if ever, make reservations, but then again we always take our annual two week trip in mid-September. We found this year easier to get in to FCFS than last year, so it's bound to keep getting easier.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

familyman5
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
" I am thinking about a diesel, class A about 25 feet long."

I don't think you'll find a Class A diesel that short

Sorry, my mistake. I meant Class C

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of variables but generally Sunday to Thursday is fine to wing it. Weekends in high demand areas can use a little planning.

We did a East to West coast 13,000 mile trip this year. Made reservations for Memorial Day, Independence Day & Labour Day. That was about it. The rest of the weekends it was call a few days before the weekend or even on the thursday.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
" I am thinking about a diesel, class A about 25 feet long."

I don't think you'll find a Class A diesel that short
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

familyman5
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the helpful replies. This is good news because it is very similar to what it was like when we did our previous trip. Glad to hear that things are not too overcrowded.
My next step will be to find the right RV to purchase. I am thinking about a diesel, class A about 25 feet long. I have seen some that have a Murphy bed to gain extra space during the day. Does anyone have experience with some of these different models and can make a recommendation?
I have found prices to be much higher than they were five years ago. Do dealerships and individuals normally discount substantially during the winter?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Holidays and/or prime locations, reservations have always been a good idea. Likewise snowbird parks mid winter can be more challenging if you aren't flexible.

But just meandering, we haven't had any issues. Usually call ahead a few days out. Spent 7 months last winter and no issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
There are destination campgrounds which are the ones you want reservations at. Those would be National Parks or other points of interest and make reservations sometime
months in advance. Overnight stops should be secured a day or two before.
The wife hates Interstates so we travel the blue roads and find many towns or counties have rv campgrounds. We use freecampsites.net.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Used to full time and was out there for 8 years, never really had any issues finding spots to camp. Always used private rv parks. Got off the road for 10 years and are now going out for 3 or 4 months at a time. I have found with a 40 ft rig like we own now, we have to plan way ahead in calling for spaces for us. Parks seem to have spots for shorter units, but once you have a larger rig it can get harder. Leaving in 2 weeks for a 1000 mile drive, need 4 parks to get to the place we will sit for a while. Ended up calling 7 parks before I got the 4 spots needed.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible