cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds in San Diego, LA & San Fran for Minivan Camping

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
We are road tripping to California and I am having a heck of a time finding good campgrounds under $80 where we can stay I have a Minivan that we have modified and added a tent on to the back. So, I am guessing we will be okay to list ourselves like a Pop-up?

Any suggested campgrounds would be wonderfully helpful!

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜‰

Samantha
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD
2014 Nomad 241 and loving it!!
7 REPLIES 7

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
I realize now my biggest hindrance is that I am flying by the seat of my pants not having specific dates far enough out and so many of these places have told me that they are already booked, but to check back for cancellations.

FYI: Dockweilers would be ideal, but they only let you stay there if you have a vehicle that is designated as a recreational vehicle. My camper minivan does not qualify ๐Ÿ˜ž Least I now know what the defining criteria is at the RV parks.

Thank you to all who responded. I am going motel.
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD
2014 Nomad 241 and loving it!!

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorite spots is Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park. It's an Orange County park about 10 miles inland from San Clemente.

Definitely not a resort type campground. Some sites have electric, and there is water and dump station available. It is a hiker's paradise. Best part for us is no pets of any kind allowed, to preserve the integrity of the ecological environment.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
How 'bout Dockweiler RV Park. On the beach.
Probably could wave at airline passengers going to/from LAX though.
Never stayed there. Considered it for a moment though.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
San Mateo Campground in San Clemente
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
In San Diego. Silver Strand Beach , Campland by the bay ( still open I think)

Oceanside area, San Onofre State Beach

Ventura area. Thereโ€™s an rv Park in Ventura and just north is Rincon, beach side boondocking

Between Ventura and Monticieto is Hobson Beach campground , small and tight.

Santa Barbara area , sunrise rv Park , Earl Warren showgrounds ( a parking lot with full hookups) but not bad if passing thru.

North of Santa Barbara, Lake Cachuma campground. County facility similar to most state parks, we like it

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Van would be a Class B. Maybe a Class B Hybrid. Good luck. CA is full or expensive or both.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
You'd be better off stating one car/tent camper.
It's not a popup.
What issues are you having? Where are you paying $80? The only California State Parks campsites that cost that much, are state beach campsites with hookups.
Private RV parks may not allow your type of camping.
Take a look at San Diego County Parks.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes