cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Michigan campsites

scotty1946
Explorer
Explorer
Where is a good campsite in southern Michigan that is on the lake shore. I am distinguishing from a campground/park on the lake as opposed to campsite on the water.
10 REPLIES 10

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP,

Just a heads up on Covert Twp Park. Covert Twp is a very poor area on the north side of a very economically depressed local area. With an annual $12,156 per capita income, Covert Twp crime rate is quite high as you'd expect. 32.4% of families etc are below the poverty line.

It's not that the Twp park isn't a decent location but just be advised of what's in and about the demographics of the area as being victimized will ruin your stay for sure. Google it for the "facts and info" that usually won't be allowed to be posted on rv.net forum. Your decision.

I'm actually surprised that it was even suggested to a non-knowing out of state RV'er by a member who lives just south of this very highly depressed area.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jim_isham
Explorer
Explorer
Here'a nice campground on Lake Michigan at Bridgman, about 16 miles north of the state line.

Weko Beach Campground

And another one at Covert, about 50 miles north of the state line.

Covert Township Campground
Michigan's Sunset Coast

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Grand Haven SP (174 campsites) is actually on the Lake Michigan sugarsand Beach with paved roads and sites and a clear view of the gorgeous lake and beach. Is also on the big wide deep 288 mile long Grand River (longest river in Michigan) and the many mile long wide very popular Boardwalk along the river going east to downtown .7 miles or 7 blocks and the worlds largest Musical Fountain the size of a football field from the SP CG and the Boardwalk continues far beyond. Going west on the Boardwalk (which goes along the north side of the CG) is the 1/4 mile long wide concrete public pier that goes out into Lake Michigan with the 2 constantly photographed very pretty lighthouses on it. Big ships and hundreds to thousands of pleasure boats coming and going. All this is right next to and from your campsite!

Also, Grand Haven is the official by act of the US Congress "Coast Guard City USA" where the annual 10 day National Coast Guard Festival is held each year the end of July and first week of August and has been for the past 89 years. 350,000 to 500,000 attend each year and it's so much fun.

How do I know this stuff? I/we live here and have for over 72 years now. Yup, born here and sure won't move away as it's a wonderful very clean safe place to live, work, recreation 360 degrees, and raise a family and now they won't move either.

Hoffmaster SP (1200 acres) on Lake Michigan is only 5 miles north with it's very large high sandunes to climb and miles of marked trails and has about 300 campsites on 4 loops and a museum/interpetive center with programs for all.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
If I interpret the OP correctly, the request is for a southern Lake Michigan site on the lake. To my knowledge, the only place that fits that definition is Grand Haven State Park

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Holland SP, Grand Haven SP, Hoffmaster SP, Mears SP, Ludington SP are the best by far right on the shoreline with many other SP's, county, and private CG's/parks being less excellent but still very viable choices. It certainly depends upon what/which features, hookups, CG and local attractions, venues, hiking/biking trails etc, boating, fishing, quality of beach and swimming, etc (so many more) there is that you desire at the CG location and area you decide upon. Only you knows what you really want at and around the best CG location for your wants, needs, and desires.

Yes, they do fill up fast and the better ones are usually booked full (reserved) all summer long. So, don't delay or lose out! Grand Haven and Holland are the most popular followed by Ludington and Hoffmaster.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Check out the Michigan State Parks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
When do you want to go?
Ludington, Hoffmaster, you can't go wrong on Lake Michigan but competition is fierce.

I wish you luck in getting a site!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Warren Dunes is nice.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

dalenoel