cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upper New York Fall Trip

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. We are looking for an area to stay in for 4 or 5 days mid October to see leaves changing. We would like large campsites

We are looking for some good small towns to visit and day activities for the kids.

Was considering the finger lakes sections.

Any suggestions?
21 REPLIES 21

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys I just booked 5 days at letchworth. Can anyone suggest a few small towns in the area to shop. I read Skantaeles was a great visit but it was a little far away for a day drive.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
Ok. Thank you. We normally go to door county in Wisconsin but wanted to try something different. It doesnโ€™t have to be upper New York. Pa or OH works too. We just want highs in the 60s.

For example in Wisconsin we have a few small towns to shop. A small cute zoo. Fruit picking etc. kinda looking for places that are like that.

We are coming from Nashville TN.

Will probably visit harpers ferry WV on the way home.

There's definitely you-pick apples that time of year here in God's Country.

Many, many small towns. Is history your thing? Try Seneca Falls for women's history. Rochester (city - not small town) for photographic history at the Eastman House. Tons of history at small towns all along the Erie Canal.

It's probably too late to get a campsite at Letchworth or Watkins Glen that time of year. Try Sampson State Park. Lots of sites, and less well-known than the other two. Centrally-located in the Finger Lakes too.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thank you. We normally go to door county in Wisconsin but wanted to try something different. It doesnโ€™t have to be upper New York. Pa or OH works too. We just want highs in the 60s.

For example in Wisconsin we have a few small towns to shop. A small cute zoo. Fruit picking etc. kinda looking for places that are like that.

We are coming from Nashville TN.

Will probably visit harpers ferry WV on the way home.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd also suggest Letchworth State Park or Watkins Glen State Park. There are lot's of things to do in the Finger Lake Region. Consider a visit to the Corning Glass Works. Hike the gorge at Watkins's Glen. Take the tour boat cruise on Seneca Lake (at Watkin's Glen). If you are so inclined, visit some wineries.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what Letchworth looked like last October 13th. More photos at October Trip to Letchworth

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make reservations, preferably soon.

New York has some nice state parks if you don't mind comparatively rustic camping. Letchworth and Watkins Glen state parks are two that I've camped at that have some fun hiking/walks for children (and others), though they'd probably be a little on the crowded side during leaf season. Indeed, that's true most anywhere you'd be camping. Stony Brook state park also looks like it could be fun, though I have not been there myself as yet.

Knoebels (a bit further south, in Elysburg, PA) is great. Their Lake Glory campground has larger sites than the Knoebels campground, in general, but is less convenient to the amusement park as you have to take a shuttle bus or drive to and fro. The sites in the Knoebels campground tend to get larger the further up the hill away from the rides you get. Take note of their operating days and events for that time of year as it's past the regular operating season.