cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Video: 10 Boondocking Do's and Don'ts

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to insult anyone's experience, but if you're new to boondocking (or if you just need a refresher), you might not understand that there are some unwritten rules of etiquette while camping in the backcountry. This video explains 10 "dos" and "don'ts" for successful boondocking in your RV:
https://youtu.be/3751kg4jhts
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
37 REPLIES 37

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
2oldman, you actually can get that info from Google Maps -- just hit the three horizontal bars in the upper left corner, and then click terrain, and then zoom in to the area you are studying. The topo contours should pop up.
Thanks, I'll try that. Side roads usually aren't all that clear to see.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
In all fairness, to some "boondocking" means anywhere there are no hookups. They can be in a pack-em-in campsite with no hookups and consider that "boondocking". A Walmart parking lot is "boondocking". A interstate rest stop is "boondocking". If they can't plug something into something, it's "boondocking".
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
I don't know of any boondocking areas that you have the luxury to be "hundreds of yards" away from other boondockers.

You need to get out more. I camp in plenty of places where I cannot see a light. No one within 10 miles.

The real trick is to get way out there over non-rock-crawler but somewhat rough roads with all the comforts of home, such as ... a tall enough interior shower for a 6+ footer, a dry bath, air conditioning, a comfortable furnace system, an oven, a microwave, at least 60 lbs. of on-board propane, at least a 450 mile traveling range, coach seating for five, at least 45 gallons of fresh water, an outside shower, a surround sound system in the coach, two sleeping areas with at least one of them being queen size, two large outside lounge chairs, an outside table, a built-in outside entertainment center, a large enough portable propane fire pit to actually cook on and warm folks sitting around it, a full spare tire, fishing gear, and a whole bunch of just-in-case equipment. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
I don't know of any boondocking areas that you have the luxury to be "hundreds of yards" away from other boondockers.

You need to get out more. I camp in plenty of places where I cannot see a light. No one within 10 miles.

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
2oldman, you actually can get that info from Google Maps -- just hit the three horizontal bars in the upper left corner, and then click terrain, and then zoom in to the area you are studying. The topo contours should pop up.

What he said! ๐Ÿ˜‰

profdant139 wrote:
But there is a catch -- Google Earth won't show you the actual condition of the road, due to the limits of the resolution of the image. All roads look pretty good on GE, even if there are rocks the size of pumpkins.

So true.

profdant139 wrote:
So you are right -- there is no substitute for boots on the ground.

Oh, but there is! It's your phone! Call the local BLM Field Office or National Forest Ranger Station, and simply ask. I've also had surprisingly good luck by Googling the Forest Road number or BLM road name, and seeing other folks' trip reports with photos. They're not always (or even seldom?) campers, but I can usually get what I need from even ATV'ers.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

On Google Earth, the elevation is listed in the lower right corner -- so you can take a reading at the start of a road and fly along it, watching the elevation rise and fall.

But there is a catch -- Google Earth won't show you the actual condition of the road, due to the limits of the resolution of the image. All roads look pretty good on GE, even if there are rocks the size of pumpkins.

So you are right -- there is no substitute for boots on the ground.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
..and Google Earth, drive around the area to scout it, and be prepared to travel long distances on very poor dirt roads into remote locations..
I use Google maps, but I don't get much of an idea of the road elevations or conditions, which can be the deal killer!

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Thanks much for posting those location names. I'm always on the lookout for new places, and those are beauts!

My pleasure.

profdant139 wrote:
Excellent video! Unfortunately, the people who leave their trash, make a lot of noise, etc., are not likely to watch it.

If even only one does and it makes a difference, it's a step in the right direction.

profdant139 wrote:
And there is no trick to finding really isolated campsites -- spend a lot of time with the Motor Vehicle Use Maps and Google Earth, drive around the area to scout it, and be prepared to travel long distances on very poor dirt roads into remote locations.

The absolute silence, complete privacy, and utter darkness are priceless.

Couldn't agree more! As for the process described above, we go into that very thing in great detail in this video: https://youtu.be/TTRw3A-IIZY
Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And gemsworld, if you have a little spare time, check out the sticky showing photos of boondocking sites. We are often several miles from our nearest neighbors!

And there is no trick to finding really isolated campsites -- spend a lot of time with the Motor Vehicle Use Maps and Google Earth, drive around the area to scout it, and be prepared to travel long distances on very poor dirt roads into remote locations.

The absolute silence, complete privacy, and utter darkness are priceless.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent video! Unfortunately, the people who leave their trash, make a lot of noise, etc., are not likely to watch it.
About our trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks much for posting those location names. I'm always on the lookout for new places, and those are beauts!

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I enjoyed the video. ... Along the lines of "leave it cleaner than you found it", is my preoccupation of spending part of my visit looking for items to clean up. Usually broken glass is at the top of my list.

Thank you DarkSkySeeker! Glad to know that we're not the only ones.

2oldman wrote:
Cigarette butts.

Agreed -- and I'm even a smoker myself!
Cottonwood Heights, UT

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I enjoyed the video. ... Along the lines of "leave it cleaner than you found it", is my preoccupation of spending part of my visit looking for items to clean up. Usually broken glass is at the top of my list.

Thank you DarkSkySeeker! Glad to know that we're not the only ones.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
FirstTracks wrote:
we found broken glass, shell casings, piles of nails/screws, etc. How people can leave that stuff behind is beyond me.
Cigarette butts.

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:

With that state map of yours, I don't know how you don't. In the Intermountain West, we usually can't even see or hear any neighbors -- we're used to being a mile or so from the nearest. Here are just a few from our 2018 season, many in very popular areas:

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Utah

Quartzsite, AZ

Mojave National Preserve, CA

(feet outside) Grand Teton National Park, WY

Laramie Mountains, WY

Curecanti National Recreation Area, CO

Crested Butte, CO

Mammoth Lakes/June Lake, CA
Cottonwood Heights, UT