cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winging it on your travels

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I've read so many people post about going with the flow when they are traveling. Normally, as I've posted on here before, I'm a planner plodder. I was amazed by peoples tales of calling and pulling into a motor home park within minutes of locating it in the Woodalls or other source.

So, We had a three month road trip where we had to be in certain places on certain dates. We had to be in Indian Wells on March 2, Houston on April 5, Tallahassee on April 21, and Skidaway Island, GA on April 28. I made those reservations months before the trip. Good thing I made the Indian Wells and Skidaway reservations when I did they both filled up!

I posted my dilemma on where to go after Indian Wells. After looking at the weather forecast we headed to Phoenix for a couple of days and then back on I-10. We worked our way over to I-20 and on to several stops at Texas state parks before we hit a wall! We wanted to swing out to the hill country before going to McKinney Falls near Austin. So many places were full, wild flowers were in bloom and so were the RVs. We should have known things were going to get difficult.

I didn't have a melt down until we arrived at Palmetto Island State Park in LA. Lovely park with many great features. I thought we would stay there a few days then move on to AL or MS. I started looking and nothing! We needed a place between LA and Tallahassee. The park where we were was full for the weekend but we scored a cancellation that gave us a full week at the park, although we had to move to another site.

That left 1 night. We thought we would check at the new Alabama Welcome Center. All the signs said no over nights and there was no one on the grounds to ask. Not wanting a knock on the door in the middle of the night, we moved on. DH driving and me on my tablet searching for a place. We ended up at 9 PM at the Cracker Barrell in Spanish Fort, AL. What a great place to spend the night. Very quiet and a good breakfast in the morning. Thank you Cracker Barrel.

So, Sometimes winging works, but spring break, special events, holidays, etc. can make it next to impossible.

We could have made the drive all the way from Tallahassee to Skidaway but they were full so we spent two nights at Stephen Foster Folk Center. Interesting place.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.
30 REPLIES 30

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on what you need to โ€œcamp.โ€ I prefer no hook ups so itโ€™s easy for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad