cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Astroturf on step bar: keeps the truck a little cleaner

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sort of embarrassed to post this -- it is so simple -- just a strip of astroturf and some heavy duty cable ties:

The idea is pretty obvious -- we often travel in muddy/sandy/snowy terrain, and there is no pavement to wipe your feet on, before hopping into the truck. So first I clean one boot, then hop in and clean the other one. The dirt that I have wiped onto the astroturf usually comes off when we are driving. It is not a perfect solution, but the truck gets less dirty than it would without the astroturf.

We have been using this for almost ten years -- when we had an SUV, I used sheet metal screws to fasten the rug to the running board. When we got the truck, I just strapped them onto the step bars (which some folks call nerf bars, I am told).

By the way, as far as I can tell, no one else has ever posted this idea, anywhere on the Web. I am surprised -- this is not complicated. (Maybe I am searching under the wrong terms -- if anyone else can find an earlier posting of this, I would be interested to know how you found it. It is never too late to learn new Web tricks.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
You could just go to Amazon and buy the BRUSH designed for this purpose.:B