cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 Volt Issues

chark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Jayco 5th wheel, last fall I had a new converter put in. When I went to get camper ready for summer I plugged the unit in to electricity, the battery was not charged up at this time, I did run the pump, the converter came on, put slide half way out, all the lights came on stayed on for about 30 min. than nothing it all went dead except the microwave which is on a 110. I have checked all the fuses, threw brakers, put in a new 20 in the 12 volt fuse area. I did charge the battery changed fuse on the battery, cleaned the battery terminals. I cant get it in to a repair shop because the slide is out. I do not know if I can manually put it back in, I can not find any info in the book for this model on putting in the slide.
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you got it sorted out. Most of the time it is something basic. Start at the battery & work from there.

A good tool to have in your war chest is a battery LOAD tester. A $30-$40 item which will give you the health of your battery bank without lugging batterys someplace to do it for you.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news, Happy camping.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
chark,

Thanks for posting the findings.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

chark
Explorer
Explorer
Its fixed....the wire to the fuse on the battery had shorted out. The fuse was good but no fire to it, also found out that the new battery I bought in the fall had a bad cell which did not help, so replaced with a new one.
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone!
Next thing I got to find the manual way to put in the slide. :)Now hopefully my camping plans for Memorial weekend may happen after all.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My converter will run all my 12volt items with the battery disconnected.

I have a manual crank for my slide opposite the slide on the other side of the rig.

chark
Explorer
Explorer
will try cleaning the terminals also thank you!

chark
Explorer
Explorer
handy9 I will get back with you on your answer, going to try the grounded battery voltage output when I get off work this afternoon first. I know I put quite a huge pull on battery that was not charged right off so hopefully a simple fix....if there such a thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
chark wrote:
Batter is new
but the terminals were dirty?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

chark
Explorer
Explorer
Batter is new

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like bad battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
The circuit breakers in your power panel, have nothing to do with lights, water pump, slide operations, etc. They only control 120 volt power, going to your A/C, microwave, and wall outlets.

The fuses control power to most of your 12 volt systems. The exception would be slide outs. They have 12 volt auto reset breakers.

Those breakers are not located in your panel with the fuses and 120 volt breakers. They are normally found underneath the trailer, attached to the frame, and probably near the battery. They look like this.. Some have a button for manual reset. Some will reset when you disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Another possible cause of your problem, could be an internally shorted battery. With a battery connected, all 12 volt power goes through there. Even power coming from the converter. If the battery is shorted, it takes up everything the converter is putting out, no power gets through to lights, radio, water pump, etc, and the battery still does not charge.

Unplug shore power, pull the battery and take it to be load tested. Many auto parts stores, will test it for free. While the battery is out, plug back into shore power and try your slide.

First two suspects, I would look at, would be the battery and auto reset breakers. I'm leaning toward the battery because more than just the slide is affected. However, some trailers have an auto reset breaker between the battery and converter. If the battery and breakers check good, there's a wiring issue. Loose / corroded connections or chewed wires.

Please post what your findings and fix are.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

chark
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I will check that out, I figured it had something to do with the battery area itself but not really sure.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage output at the battery. I suspect you have a loose or corroded ground connection between the battery and the converter.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74