cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel with Rambox

needgas__
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with a Rambox. Anyone pull a 5th wheel with this setup? Anything I need to know about hitch selection?
Me & Her
3 of them
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab/hemi/4.10
Reese Dual Cam HP
2004 Puma 30DBSS
4 REPLIES 4

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
needgas$$ wrote:
The side winder pin box replaces the pin on the trailer? I am missing something. The bed sides are the same height as a typical truck box. where is the clearance issue? I thought I might run into issues that the narrow interior may affect the hitch mounting. Am I wrong?

Most extended pin boxes are longer than 50% of the width between the rails of the Rambox. Your width is around 50" vs about 68" for a standard truck bed. So with any turn approaching 90 degrees, the back side of the pin box will hit the Rambox. If you switch to a short length pin box rather than an extended pin box, then you will not have sufficient clearance between the front cap and the rear of the cab.

The Sidewinder has it's own pivot that is 22" behind the king pin and a wedge that prevents rotation at the king pin. So, while it has the length of an extended pin box, it pivots more like a non-extended pin box. It does not swing in an arc that would cause contact with the Rambox.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
needgas$$ wrote:
The side winder pin box replaces the pin on the trailer? I am missing something. The bed sides are the same height as a typical truck box. where is the clearance issue? I thought I might run into issues that the narrow interior may affect the hitch mounting. Am I wrong?

You are correct it is the interior width of your bed that will cause a problem. The recommendation to use a sidewinder pin box is correct from what I have read with the ram box. You then need a hitch that will work with the sidewinder.

Here is a video with the Reese Revolution...same type of design as a sidewinder.
https://youtu.be/ARUdgIO1OWE
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

needgas__
Explorer
Explorer
Me & Her
3 of them
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab/hemi/4.10
Reese Dual Cam HP
2004 Puma 30DBSS

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best option is to use a Sidewinder pin box with a fixed position hitch of your choice. Otherwise the back of the pin box will hit the narrower side rails of the rambox. My utility bed is also narrow, but it sits lower so the pin box swings over the top of the bed sides.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos