cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Akuret failure avoided

Beaux_Duke
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from getting a replacement Akuret tire on my 2013 Columbus 320RS.

I monitor my tires closely and noticed one had an unusual shape. The tread face was round instead of flat like the other 4 (including spare). I also noticed it took up more room in the wheel well so I got out my tape measure and did some measuring. I placed a short level I had laying around my shop at the top of the tire and measured the distance to the shop floor. It was over 1 1/2 inches taller than the others.

I called the RV dealer knowing he wouldn't be of much help and I was right but after being passed to the fourth person I was finally able to get some info on where an Akuret dealer was located which was 45 miles away.

The Akuret dealer was helpful and freely admitted that the tire was close to failure. A replacement was mounted and $47 dollars later I was on my way back home. He also told me that Akuret made good tires and he knew of no problems with the particular size I brought in. I wasn't all that convinced but since he was being helpful I saw no need to be argumentative. I filed his comments away in by brain under "Useless Information".

I'll be swapping out all 5 early next year with some LT's but for now I'll just have to watch them closely.

If you're running ST235/80-16 Akurets load range "E" rated at 3,520 lbs, keep a close eye on them.

Did I mention the Akurets were made in China? Like you didn't already know that, right?
01 Silverado 2500HD, 8.1, Allison, 4.10
13 Columbus 320RS
2 REPLIES 2

Beaux_Duke
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one of your previous posts. You were fortunate. My previous 5er had a blow out less than 10 miles from home. Over $3,000 in damage. The insurance adjuster took the tire's carcass and the strip of tread I picked up off the road and managed to get the full repair cost back from the tire manufacturer and I was reimbursed my deductible. But I don't want to go through that again. New LT's are in my future just can't do it right now. It's funny that "ST" tires have "For trailer use only" stamped on them but "LT" tires don't have any cautionary phrases on their sidewalls. ST tires are actually thinner and weigh less and are often rated higher than the same size in an LT equivalent. Thinner, lighter and overloaded can only have one result.
01 Silverado 2500HD, 8.1, Allison, 4.10
13 Columbus 320RS

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I recently experienced a near failure of an Akuret tire on my Columbus. Luckily, a North Carolina Trooper pulled me over when he saw it. Saved me a lot of damage.

A week later I installed a set of Maxxis M8008 ST tires. What a difference. The Maxxis sidewalls are thicker and don't flex near as much as the Akuret tires. My Maxxis were made in Thailand the 6th week of 2014.
Be sure to have your new tires balanced.
Good luck.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo