cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody have the Trailersaver BD5

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
I know many have posted regarding the BD3 but looking for comments specifically on the BD5. Its a lot more hitch than I need but I like the puck ready design. It is supposed to be designed with the newer truck heights in mind. I like my B&W companion but as get into the longer trips in the near future, I am looking for the best ride possible.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo
23 REPLIES 23

AFChief_and_Pil
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
I know many have posted regarding the BD3 but looking for comments specifically on the BD5. Its a lot more hitch than I need but I like the puck ready design. It is supposed to be designed with the newer truck heights in mind. I like my B&W companion but as get into the longer trips in the near future, I am looking for the best ride possible.

UPDATE
I have ordered the BD5. I think it will be good.

You should have waited for my reply. :B

I know your response. Haha. I am a B&W fan myself but I continue to search for the optimum ride. I will keep my Companion as I may be back to it

You wonโ€™t go back ... the air ride hitch will protect your rig by isolating it from your truck. Youโ€™ll see.??

CHV_FRK
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the BD5 but I decided to go with the Airsafe 25k Omni. I like that it had a little more front to back movement Our new trailer will be approaching 20k and just wanted a little more control. I didn't get the puck system I bought the regular unit with the adapter. $100 extra but worth being able to use it in another truck if needed.
Dana and Natalie

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country DRW CC LB 4x4
-60 Aux Tank/Toolbox, Line-X, Full Tint, AirSafe 25K Hitch

2018 Jayco Seismic 4113, 45'7", 17,800lbs w/o the Toys.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
I have had a 1/8 plate and it worked 90% of the time ,but every once in a while it would roll up or fold up .
I will get another someday (not easy to find up here).
In the meantime grease up and wear old clothes.

I ordered mine from Hensley for my B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 1/8 plate and it worked 90% of the time ,but every once in a while it would roll up or fold up .
I will get another someday (not easy to find up here).
In the meantime grease up and wear old clothes.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
1/8" plate will work. No problems latching at all with 1/8" plate but anything thicker and the mechanism will not latch.
My jaws latch very well. But for the most pat I'm always coming in straight.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on the plastic disks too tight a fit ,I just grease it - which seems to leap across space and land on me as I walk by.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Very nice ,I have a trailer saver with that binkely head,my only warning is that you need to be very accurate with the pin, come in as straight as you can dont rely on the pin sliding into the jaws.
See how they (jaws)stick out a bit in the 'V' ? The pin will slide along the the hitch and close the jaw in front of it.You have to be ball hitch dead on.

Good advice. I never knew the hitch would do that. I always do a visual check that the jaws are wrapped around the pin before locking.

The jaws are really thick and sometimes they need to be centered on the kingpin groove by using the correct thickness lube plate. Some require an 1/8" plate. My kingpin required that I stack two plates.

Good looking hitch.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice ,I have a trailer saver with that binkely head,my only warning is that you need to be very accurate with the pin, come in as straight as you can dont rely on the pin sliding into the jaws.
See how they (jaws)stick out a bit in the 'V' ? The pin will slide along the the hitch and close the jaw in front of it.You have to be ball hitch dead on.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to love the ride that bad boy gives you.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Got it installed but I have not hooked the trailer up yet. The product seems well built and well put together

2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Durb, love my TS3 . Well worth the money.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Durb, what is your tow vehicle and trailer? What air pressure are you running LOADED in your bags?

2004.5 Ram 3500 2WD long bed dually towing 31 ft. Carriage Domani at 10,000#. Torflex axles so no opportunity for axle shocks or equalization. Non adjustable and uncommon pin box. MorRyde pin box was an option but I bought the trailer used and it wasn't included. The trailer generates terrible bouncing and chucking forces. Most Domanis come with 20" passenger tires inflated to 50 psi. Mine came with 16" LRE tires. I tried different air bag settings with little result.

The TS3 smoothed everything out as the hitch retracts whenever the trailer tries to push forward. The truck still feels road bumps, as if not towing, but the trailer's influence on the truck is nearly imperceptible. I currently run minimum pressure, six pounds, in my bags while towing. I liked the Patriot hitch, it just wasn't right for my trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb, what is your tow vehicle and trailer? What air pressure are you running LOADED in your bags?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wood chip wrote:

I highly advise adding Bilstein 4600 shocks and air bags and inflate them to 30# LOADED. The Hitch you have is rock solid and with the shocks and bags your ride will be VASTLY improved.

I am the guy who buys a truck then immediately trys to make it better. I added the 4600's after 2 weeks of having the truck then I added the Ride Rite Airbags with wireless remote last month.

I did the 4600's and air bag thing with my Patriot hitch, still a terrible tow. Please report back as you will be a good test case: Companion Vs. Trailer Saver, solid hook up vs. air hitch.