cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Charging Question

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
My tow vehicle has what Ford calls an "Extra Heavy duty Alternator" rated at 220 Amps.

I am (as the name goes) planning on switching to a residential reefer.
We never dry camp or boondock. I am going to have a Xantrex pure sine wave inverter installed for an anticipated maximum of about 62 DC amps draw for the reefer while using the inverter. (Always on shore power during overnights and extended stays.) The reefer will be the only draw on the inverter.

Is it reasonable to assume that the alternator as described above will be able to keep the 5's batteries topped up during the daily drive?

How much charging amperage is actually provided to the 5 when towing?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW
24 REPLIES 24

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Vee,

Thank you for the reply. Your information regarding Lifeline and Magnum confirms what I have been finding.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
VD is your biggest concern. That skinny little charging wire can only take so much. As Old Biscuit says, the fridge should be fine during transit time. It is not like it gets to ambient temperature minutes after power is removed from it.

Good move getting the pure sine wave inverter. The weakest link is the size of the battery bank. If you have a pair of group 27, group 31 or a single 4D deep cycle you should be fine for even a long day on the road using the inverter.

I have a single 4D case size Lifeline AGM battery. 215ah rated. 7 seasons so far. Hoping for a couple more no problems. I also have the Magnum 2000W pure sine wave inverter/charger. AGM charge rates are different from wet cell batterys. The Magnum charger is programmable to suit wet cell, AGM or gel cell batteries.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Ford,

I think that you might be referring to an inverter system that also has an integral charger, versus a sole-function inverter. (As far as receiving input DC power from a source, I do not think that the type of battery has any effect upon what type of inverter.)

Lifeline is a brand of AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Mat) which use a different charging algorithm than flooded batteries.

My last knowledge of inverters was more than 25 years ago, and back then Xantrex (formerly "Trace" inverters; http://www.midnitesolar.com/pages/frontPage/nwHistory/history.php) had a good reputation. My
knowledge is stale so I need to make that decision also: what brand of inverter, and Magnum, from what I have read so far, gets good reviews.

Planning wrote:
Ford Guy,

When you say that "the magnum has a setting specifically for life line..."

What exactly does that setting do?

Did you pick the CSW or the LP series Magnum.

Why Magnum vs Xantrex (I am not knowledgeable regarding the brand issues.)

That is what came standard on my fifth wheel.... I called Magnum and asked them about the settings.. They told me that the Lifeline AGM battery is like no other... and that is why they added a setting in the newer units.. The settings changes the way the bats are charged, and floated I believe, but really not sure...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Guy,

When you say that "the magnum has a setting specifically for life line..."

What exactly does that setting do?

Did you pick the CSW or the LP series Magnum.

Why Magnum vs Xantrex (I am not knowledgeable regarding the brand issues.)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Planning wrote:
The converter is the one that came on the unit and it is called the "Charge Wizard" by Progressive Dynamics". I have no idea if it is considered good quality.
This is the best converter available.
Will work great with Lifeline.

Planning wrote:
Ford Guy,

If I stay with 2 12's, I was thinking about going to the Lifeline GPL-31XT 125 Amp hour rated.

What inverter do you use?

Magnum 1000 watt sure sine wave..

I was looking into lifeline for when I upgrade, they are pricey like $335.00 each on sale... the magnum has a setting specifically for life line...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Horton

"If you don't dry camp that is more than enough. Even a two hour lunch won't dent 250 AHs much but it's always best to have more in case you want to overnight or something.

I believe the consensus is 1,000 watts PSW works with enough margin for the startup surge."

I was thinking of the Xantrex PROWatt 2000 Inverter...the next smallest down they make is a 900, so I figured more was better than less.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia,

We only have 2 Group 24's at the present, but I have been looking at replacing them with 125 amp hour Lifeline GPL-31XT's.

The converter is the one that came on the unit and it is called the "Charge Wizard" by Progressive Dynamics". I have no idea if it is considered good quality.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
Ford Guy,

If I stay with 2 12's, I was thinking about going to the Lifeline GPL-31XT 125 Amp hour rated.

If you don't dry camp that is more than enough. Even a two hour lunch won't dent 250 AHs much but it's always best to have more in case you want to overnight or something.

I believe the consensus is 1,000 watts PSW works with enough margin for the startup surge.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't foresee any issues with your planning as it was stated in your OP. As someone already mentioned, you would be OK with just 2 batteries as long as you are getting some charge from the alternator to your rig's battery bank. Sure, there is a possibility you might be down a bit upon arrival, with longer trips between shorepower having the most impact.

The sheer fact that you are always plugged in makes needing to know exact consumption and/or total of amps being supplied by alternator impertinent. Just ensure your converter is duly performing it's function as it pertains to fully charging your battery bank, a multi-phase smart converter will accomplish this easily and worth the investment if you don't have one onboard. Verify DC voltages from converter and alternator.

Rigs that come with residential fridges are most often specked with a 1K watt inverter dedicated for that exclusive purpose, you could go larger but you wouldn't even need an inverter with your style of RVing. You have 5 batteries when most only need a single battery to get from one shorepower hook-up to the next, if you want to save some space and weight, when the time comes a pair of 6 volt GC2 batteries will more than suffice for your needs.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Guy,

I use my Ford with the HD Alternator to tow my fifth wheel with residential fridge. I have a 1000 watt pure wave sine inverter. I have driven from PA to CLT and still had full batteries when i arrived .. I run 2 of the group 31 bats.. I have also towed from Elkhart to eastern PA with full bats...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Well it would be a percentage, use half of the above watthours and say 50 AHs, but the current, which I understood to be your question, would stay at around 4 amps average.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.