cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blown tire collision or comprehensive

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tire blow out and i have geico insurance. The blowout caused damage to the camper because i had to get off the bay bridge before i could pull over. I have been told that i am at fault and this will be a collision claim. I told them if I am at fault for a tire blowing (which the air pressure was checked before the trip and brakes and tires were serviced less than a year ago) then they can call me Jesus Christ for now on. How can this not be a comprehensive claim it is an act of god. Anyways they are reviewing the claim again because i told them if i am at fault cancel all my policies.
59 REPLIES 59

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
rtaylor0830 wrote:
I spoke to geico today and they said that it was a collision because the tire hit the wheel well. I told them to read my comp policy and one of the comp covers was explosions which i told them the tire exploded which caused the contact with the wheel well. THEY THEN CHANGED IT TO COMP COVERAGE.

CONGRATULATIONS, I'm impressed.

I expect it was just an lack of experience issue on their part initially.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
rtaylor0830 wrote:
I spoke to geico today and they said that it was a collision because the tire hit the wheel well. I told them to read my comp policy and one of the comp covers was explosions which i told them the tire exploded which caused the contact with the wheel well. THEY THEN CHANGED IT TO COMP COVERAGE.

CONGRATULATIONS, I'm impressed.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
It applies to their trailer tires, Marathons and G114 H.

I have no experience with their H Rated tires but I don't believe they will cover the cost of the damage caused by a Marathon that goes bad .... the only one I know for sure is the G614 G-rated tires that are less than 5 years old and they get back whatever is left of the tire .... we just has 4 new ones installed on our camper this morning

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
JEBar wrote:
fishingbob61 wrote:
If it was a Good Year tire less than 5yrs old they will pay for repairs and new tire,

that applies to the G614's, not their Wrangler tires .... unsure as to their Load Range H tires

Jim

Goodyear wouldn't speak to me when my Canadian Marathons blew. Authorized dealer didn't want to even remove the old tire from the rim. I was traveling and 1300 miles from home.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comp.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rev_man1
Explorer
Explorer
I filed a claim with my insurance company (Allstate) last week for damage caused by a blown tire ( cheap 15" ST tires) At first the adjuster wanted to file under collision coverage, 1/2 hour later she called me back and after speaking with here supervisor it was in fact a comp claim and would be covered as such.

I am currently in the process of replacing the complete suspension with dexter 6000 axles, springs, lifting the unit 3" with a sub-frame and BFG Commercial TA tires on 16" hi-spec wheels
IMHO 5200lb suspension under a unit with a 11,600lb gvw is just not heavy enough.

nano
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
I agree with others regarding Goodyear (GY) tires. We've had our share of tire tread seperation which caused damage to our 5er. GY has paid each and every time for tires and damage.

How many times have you had tread separation with your GY tires? How many miles were on them?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I agree with others regarding Goodyear (GY) tires. We've had our share of tire tread seperation which caused damage to our 5er. GY has paid each and every time for tires and damage. The last one was our $9,000.00. The one thing I will tell you is you must have the tire, do not disgard it. Contact GY file a claim and they will arrange for the tire to be shipped to them for inspection. I contuine to buy GY because they stand behind their product.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Yup Yup
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I agree with others regarding Goodyear (GY) tires. We've had our share of tire tread seperation which caused damage to our 5er. GY has paid each and every time for tires and damage. The last one was our $9,000.00. The one thing I will tell you is you must have the tire, do not disgard it. Contact GY file a claim and they will arrange for the tire to be shipped to them for inspection. I contuine to buy GY because they stand behind their product.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
Here is the definition as per Geico:

4.Comprehensive physical damage coverage pays for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire or animals. To keep your premiums low, select as high a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket.

5.Collision coverage pays for damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle or other object.

It appears your vehicle was hit by a object (tire) and caused the damage. Therefore it falls under Collision coverage.

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/coverages-explained/

If you read the definitions in your policy, it plainly states your comp and collision coverages. If you think Geico will rewrite the policy for you, just keep on dreaming.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of thoughts on tire failures:

First, these are covered by the comprehensive. not the collision part of the vehicle insurance.

Second, sometimes tire failures can be attributed road hazards - and the tire manufacturer may deny the claim. In that case, the vehicle insurance covers it under the comprehensive part.

In many cases, it becomes easier to file a claim with the insurance company and let them deal with the tire manufacturer.

- and it is my understanding that claims filed under the comprehensive coverage will not cause your insurance rates to go up (unless you file a bunch of them!)

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is good to hear about BFG. I run 3rd gen BFG take offs on my 98 and love them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Cardinal friend that replaced ST Marathons with BFG Commercial TA's in 2010 on his new trailer with 6K axles. One of the TA's failed in Arizona this winter and Michelin/BFG is paying for trailer damage and one tire. He replaced the TA's with XPS RIBs this time, which he should have bought to start with, so I am not sure if they paid for a new TA or RIB.

Discount Tire in Mesa did all the paper work and shipped the failed tire to BFG. He said it was like doing a police report, location, speed etc etc! They checked the air pressure in the other three tires and noted that on the paper work also.

He is happy with the customer service he received at Discount and from Michelin/BFG.

Again, why take a hit on your insurance with a claim, when it should be with the tire company. I know the with Goodyear if you claim it on your insurance they will pay your deductible. But why do it that way. Go to the tire company first, and if you come up short, then ask your insurance company to pay the difference or eat it.

BTW, he said it almost put him in the ditch when it went. Jerking the the whole rig to the left violently. 34-35 trailer and newer GM 3500 SRW truck. I know others that lost a tire and did not even know it until someone flagged them over!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JEBar wrote:
fishingbob61 wrote:
If it was a Good Year tire less than 5yrs old they will pay for repairs and new tire,

that applies to the G614's, not their Wrangler tires .... unsure as to their Load Range H tires

Jim