Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A v 5th wheel

eagle281
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone
I am wanting to go from a 5th wheel to a class A.
Wondering how many out there have moved from a class A to 5th wheel. Are you happy or not. Why did you do it?
Thanks for your input
DURAMAX/ALLISON
DURANGO 2500 325
30 REPLIES 30

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I don't mind driving my dually and drive it daily . Rural areas and Suburbia driving a crew cab dually is not an issue,however when in a true Urban area like downtown in a major city having a dually can be a challenge/pain when it comes time to find a parking space.
Like you, I had rather drive my truck than about anything else.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't mind driving my dually and drive it daily . Rural areas and Suburbia driving a crew cab dually is not an issue,however when in a true Urban area like downtown in a major city having a dually can be a challenge/pain when it comes time to find a parking space.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

TejasCTD
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
ScottG wrote:
If money were no object I would go with the class A easy. The idea of not having to drive a big p/u truck everywhere is the main reason.

Really?

One of the best things about owning a 5th wheel is having a great big 1 ton truck to drive. I love cruising in my 2013 Ram... It's the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. Owning a great big 5er is the best excuse ever to buy a beautiful new truck to tow it with!

๐Ÿ˜‰

X2. Have the truck, hope to have a 5er soon.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If money were no object I would go with the class A easy. The idea of not having to drive a big p/u truck everywhere is the main reason.

Really?

One of the best things about owning a 5th wheel is having a great big 1 ton truck to drive. I love cruising in my 2013 Ram... It's the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. Owning a great big 5er is the best excuse ever to buy a beautiful new truck to tow it with!

๐Ÿ˜‰

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Lantley wrote:
The toad is self propelled. The class A driver can disconnect the toad at any point. The class A driver often disconnects the toad at the CG office and drives it to the site. Try that with a 5'er!

You miss my point. Regardless of where the toad is hitched and unhitched, that's time spent that's directly comparable to the time spent hitching and unhitching the 5th wheel.

Lantley wrote:
The class A has Sanicon sewer connections and powered 50 amp cord reels and other conveniences that most 5'ers just don't have.

Such as?? My post stated that I have a powered 50 amp cord reel as well. Sewer connections? Ummm, okay, I guess....

Lantley wrote:
I think the class A is just more convenient.....Did I mention the ability for the crew to move around while underway.

That's fine - your money and your choice, but the 5th wheel and the MH each have their advantages and disadvantages as has been pointed out in this thread. Until someone else is willing to write the check for my RVs, I'll weigh all the factors, run a cost/benefit analysis and vote with my wallet just like everyone else will.

Rusty

We've had both. If you like paying $5,000 for tires, $300 for an oil change, and being at the mercy of heavy truck repair shops then get a DP. We have every amenity the DP had, but the advantage of easy repair or replacement of the rig's "prime mover".

The fifth wheel has more headroom, deeper slides, and more "homey" feel. The DP was smoother on the road (air suspension, engine in rear, no trailer chucking).

Also, unless you have a Bluebird or Prevost the DP has no NHTSA crash rating. My pickup does have a safety rating, along with dual airbags.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Lantley wrote:
For me the equation/discussion boils down to convenience vs. cost. A nice diesel pusher is much easier to use and set up than any 5'er.
Yes fiver's can be just as luxurious but they will never have the push button convenience of a class A.
However a class A will always be more expensive than a comparable fiver. In many cases a lot more expensive. Are you willing to pay for class A convenience? Do you need class A convenience?
Priorities and budgets are different for everyone. In the end there is no one size fits all response.

I know this subject gets beat to death and generally changes no one's mind (not that it should) but I thought about what you said. Our traveling friends have a late model Entegra with all the bells and whistles. He still has to go outside to hook up his electric, sewer and water, just like me. He has to go outside to unhook his car, which I must say sometimes takes longer than it does for me to unhook the truck. The really big difference is in leveling. He has auto level and gets to stay inside and push his button. On the other hand I have to go outside to push the button on ours. ๐Ÿ˜ž

X2
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
The freedom to move around in a class A has been mentioned a lot but safety hasn't. Some don't care or even think about it and that's fine but I am not one that appreciated that part of the experience. I much preferred my wife in her seat and buckled when we had our class A. A friend of ours learned that the hard way this past year. His wife was up getting something to eat when he had to make an emergency stop. She was thrown into the dining table and it took 6 stitches to sew her up. She was lucky it wasn't worse.

Also, I am not sure there are any safety standards for Class A's. I would much rather take my chances with my truck and all the safety features it comes with. It may be different on some but our Holiday Rambler Ambassador had little in the front to offer any protection. Just some fiberglass and pieces of angle iron.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Connecting a toad to a class a is easier simply because the toad is self propelled. A Class A never has to back in with a trailer attached.
Suddenly the Class A is shorter with no trailer attached when it comes time to back into that tight spot. If I could shorten my 5'er combo by 8' things could be a lot easier at crunch time
Likewise the Class A can pull out and the car can pull up to the RV and hitch up.
Since I've never seen a self propelled fiver or a class A back in with a toad, I'm convinced a Class A is easier to hook up/detach and and set up.
Add the fact that a Class A combo can simultaneously be manipulated/maneuvered by 2 drivers and the Class A gets even easier.
Yes both types require time to hitch up but the Class A certainly has more options and flexibilty, particularly in tight situations.
In the end they will both get the job done. The fiver combo is usually more bang for the buck. The Class A will have more convenience features,larger payloads and cost more to use and maintain.
Class A will not bend around corners in the middle and how can two drivers manipulate if they are still hooked together? I can put my 5er in places I could not get the A and it is just as easy for me to hook and unhook the 5er as it was my toad. Just curious if you have owned a Class A. Other than that I agree with you.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Connecting a toad to a class a is easier simply because the toad is self propelled. A Class A never has to back in with a trailer attached.
Suddenly the Class A is shorter with no trailer attached when it comes time to back into that tight spot. If I could shorten my 5'er combo by 8' things could be a lot easier at crunch time
Likewise the Class A can pull out and the car can pull up to the RV and hitch up.
Since I've never seen a self propelled fiver or a class A back in with a toad, I'm convinced a Class A is easier to hook up/detach and and set up.
Add the fact that a Class A combo can simultaneously be manipulated/maneuvered by 2 drivers and the Class A gets even easier.
Yes both types require time to hitch up but the Class A certainly has more options and flexibilty, particularly in tight situations.
In the end they will both get the job done. The fiver combo is usually more bang for the buck. The Class A will have more convenience features,larger payloads and cost more to use and maintain.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, MHO, first, the floor plan and how it fits your needs is number one consideration! Now as a past owner of a Class A DP, part of that floor plan is dedicated to steering the rig. As far as maintenance/repairs your house is in the shop, and very few places would allow you to live in their shop. Also with the Class A you need a toad to get around after setting up at a camp site, which can be a pain, but I will settle on an added thing to deal with. TT or 5th wheel you are driving the "toad"! And no additional vehicle is required. Set up is a wash, with auto level on either, you still have to connect the hoses, electric etc on either. One advantage to Class A, DW can walk back to the fridge and get a sandwich and a cold drink while driving down the road. Other than that, back to floor plan and personal preferences! There always folks that enjoy the journey as much or more than the destination!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned one B class and two A's and now a 5er. All have advantages and disadvantages. Set up and break down now is not much different with leveling in 5er's. For me you get the most bang for the buck from a 5er. Only thing we miss about a MH is dw using bathroom with out stopping. We both agree no more A's for us.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
The toad is self propelled. The class A driver can disconnect the toad at any point. The class A driver often disconnects the toad at the CG office and drives it to the site. Try that with a 5'er!

You miss my point. Regardless of where the toad is hitched and unhitched, that's time spent that's directly comparable to the time spent hitching and unhitching the 5th wheel.

Lantley wrote:
The class A has Sanicon sewer connections and powered 50 amp cord reels and other conveniences that most 5'ers just don't have.

Such as?? My post stated that I have a powered 50 amp cord reel as well. Sewer connections? Ummm, okay, I guess....

Lantley wrote:
I think the class A is just more convenient.....Did I mention the ability for the crew to move around while underway.

That's fine - your money and your choice, but the 5th wheel and the MH each have their advantages and disadvantages as has been pointed out in this thread. Until someone else is willing to write the check for my RVs, I'll weigh all the factors, run a cost/benefit analysis and vote with my wallet just like everyone else will.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
JTrac wrote:
I know this subject gets beat to death and generally changes no one's mind (not that it should) but I thought about what you said. Our traveling friends have a late model Entegra with all the bells and whistles. He still has to go outside to hook up his electric, sewer and water, just like me. He has to go outside to unhook his car, which I must say sometimes takes longer than it does for me to unhook the truck. The really big difference is in leveling. He has auto level and gets to stay inside and push his button. On the other hand I have to go outside to push the button on ours. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I agree. If the MH is pulling a toad that must be hitched/unhitched, then I'll bet there isn't 5 minutes difference in setup and teardown. I have auto-level. I have an electric power cord reel. I have on-board water filtration, power management and power protection systems. The auto-level system even remembers the elevation when the 5th wheel was unhitched, so with the push of a button, it will return the 5th wheel to the same elevation when we're ready to hitch up and leave.

Just like me, the MH still has to hook up to the power pedestal, the water supply and the sewer drop. I could see the ease of setup/teardown issue back when people were diddling with boards under tires and front/rear jacks to level 5th wheels, but with the options available, that's not necessary any more.

Rusty

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
I probably would have asked the question on the Class A forum...Most on here own 5th wheels...

I've looked at Class A's, but still like 5th wheel over it...I paid less for my truck and my 5er than I would have paid for a comparable Class A...Other than that, there probably will be those that have gone from an A to a 5er and can tell you about that, and I would imagine, as usual, they'll be a Class A owner or more come onto this forum and tell you the pro's on their class A....

yes - ask on the Class A forum.

Many folks here went the other way.

A lot (awful lot) depends on the depth of your wallet - for initial cost and maintenance.

Whether it's gas or diesel - figure at least double the cost for any drive line work - over a pickup.
Some shops aren't equipped to work on MHs - period.
(Check on wayxm's posts for his blown gas engine)

Go over to the IRV2 forums - which has a forum for many brands of MHs.
Follow along on the cost of drive line maint & repairs.

Also - no matter which you have, you will most likely be towing "something". (Class A = a "toad", Pickup = some kind of trailer)

Good luck with whatever "adventure" you choose.

BTW - I've had 2 (gas) A - MHs, Two TTs, one 11 1/2' TC, and a 5th.
If I was going to spend lots of time traveling, and had unlimited resources - I might consider a DP MH.

But - after inputing that thought.....Nyet!
Rather have a singled HDT (Smart car on the deck) with top-of-the line New Horizons 5th.
An HDT with sleeper is the best of both worlds - Tow Vehicle and MH - & can be used as a daily driver if desired.
Best of both worlds (TV & MH).

Way, way easier (and less expensive) maint & repairs than the DP, and will "out-tow" and "whoa!" better than anything on the road.

Choices, choices - - decisions, decisions - so little time!

Have fun, spend wisely!..:C