Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Follow up

Tampa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a follow up to this post:

"Posted: 02/23/11 03:35pm

Thank you for your responses. This is my first (heck its my first camper!) rebuild and I have now taken the rear screw cover molding off and unbuttend it half way up. Looks like a bit of work needs to be done. Is there any harm in sealing it back up for now to stop the damage? The inside damge is in the closet so it is not that noticable most of the damage is on the bottom near the side of the LP tanks on the outside. The lp tanks are mounteed very secure."

Wow have I learned a lot but still missing a few things.

Here are three things I would advise some that was new to camper owner ship.

1.) For anyone that has just bought a camper wants to seal up leaks and wants to use silicone/caulking to patch it. This is not a good idea because the elasticity of silicone/caulking once it dry's. It doesn't move with the camper and cracks and breaks. The correct thing to use is a LAP sealant which comes in many different names and makers. The most common is DICOR. There are two types of lap sealant, self leveling and non self leveling. Self leveling is messy and should only be used when it is going to run down in to an area to help seal it and if you are able to control it and keep it from running. The non-self leveling works just like caulking. They can be bought in tubes or in gallon increments.

2.)If you are replacing screws in to the same old screw wholes some times a toothpick slid in the whole can help it get some leverage.

3.)Don't be afraid to take something a part and see what's going on.

----------------------------------
Things I have fixed since 2011

1.) Fan and moter inside AC and cleaned and combed ac fins
2.) All Plumbing
3.) Removed Carpet and replaced with wood floors
4.) Cable hook and amp
5.) Ripped out the old power cord and installed a marine landline
6.) Replaced the holding tank vent caps cause I had a mishap with tree going down the road.
7.) Awning arm (wished I would of upgraded when I did this but I was new to campers and really didn't know any better.
8.) Awing canvas
9.) Antenna
10.)Reseal Roof Camper each year before summer (The Florida Sun kills the roof)

Anyways just some of things that have been done with the camper since my last post in 2011. If you getting in to used campers don't be afraid to jump right in.
1 REPLY 1

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice.
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL