cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Eagle HT propane door issues

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
So we went to pick up our new Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 bhoq yesterday only there was what I consider a major issue. The door that covers the propane tanks was bulging out and difficult to close. When we opened the door we saw that the tanks were sticking out past the outside of the trailer which explained why the door was bulging. So no big deal just adjust the tray the tanks sit in right? Well no. The tanks were already basically tounching the trailer frame rail. We looked at other new Eagle hts on the lot with different floor plans and it seemed to be a common problem. Have the Eagle ht always been this way? Has anyone seen this and had it fixed?

I went online last night and didn’t see any reviews with the problem but reading newer Jayco reviews is maybe not the best idea because the overall quality seems questionable after reading those. At this point my faith in the Jayco brand is not high. If this issue can’t be fixed and is a design problem what other brands are built as well (or better really) than Jayco?
23 REPLIES 23

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
Doesn't speak well for Jayco.

We will see what Jaycos reply is next week. Short of grinding on the frame which I am not ok with or coming up with a bubble door I don’t think it is fixable. The fiver body is either not aligned with the frame, the frame is too wide, or the body is too narrow.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't speak well for Jayco.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
windellmc wrote:
I think Jayco ships with 30lb bottles. 20lb bottles are the same diameter and the clamps are too tall for shorter bottles anyway. We didn’t sign for the trailer so it is still at the dealer. Sorry I don’t have a good picture. Imagine if you open the door the bottles are sticking out further than the side of the trailer. Bottles can’t move further into their spot because there is a steel I beam in the way.
Wise move, you don't want to settle for something that isn't right, even though the dealer may say "They all are like that" or "It will be just fine that way". If it doesn't feel right, and doesn't look right, you're not going to be happy with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I have a new Jayco Eagle HT and it had the same problem. The tanks don't fit far enough into the opening so the door clears. I fixed mine by removing the tanks, and I used a grinder/cut off wheel to remove some of the frame lip where the tank sits at the bottom, allowing the tank to sit deeper into the opening. I also used a turn buckle at the top of the tank mounting bracket to pull the tops of the tanks deeper into the opening because it's a flimsy piece of metal that the tanks sit on and it would let them tilt outward and interfere with the door. I just snug the turn buckle and it pulls the tanks more upright creating clearance for the door. I can send pics if you want to see how I did this.

What was your build date? The ones I saw were early 2018 builds.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Jayco Eagle HT and it had the same problem. The tanks don't fit far enough into the opening so the door clears. I fixed mine by removing the tanks, and I used a grinder/cut off wheel to remove some of the frame lip where the tank sits at the bottom, allowing the tank to sit deeper into the opening. I also used a turn buckle at the top of the tank mounting bracket to pull the tops of the tanks deeper into the opening because it's a flimsy piece of metal that the tanks sit on and it would let them tilt outward and interfere with the door. I just snug the turn buckle and it pulls the tanks more upright creating clearance for the door. I can send pics if you want to see how I did this.

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
I think Jayco ships with 30lb bottles. 20lb bottles are the same diameter and the clamps are too tall for shorter bottles anyway. We didn’t sign for the trailer so it is still at the dealer. Sorry I don’t have a good picture. Imagine if you open the door the bottles are sticking out further than the side of the trailer. Bottles can’t move further into their spot because there is a steel I beam in the way.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Bet they were designed for 20# bottles and the dealer stuffed 30# bottles in

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer for sure, I would have left it till fix properly.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe a picture or two would help, but I'm not clear about the issue. But my thought would be if the door is bulging and won't close easily, and the trailer is brand new then it sounds like a problem for the dealer to tend to. It certainly seems like the dealer should be fixing it if it's brand new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"