Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laredo 318RL Stairwell Hand Rail

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Model.
Recently there was a good post on installing stairwell Handrails but I could not figure out how to apply it to my RV. The stairwell makes a sweeping curve to the right to the upper hallway. Both sides are covered with a hardened panel that fits the curvature nicely.

Us getting old folks really would like something to hang onto when going up and down. There is some flex in the wall covering and I cannot really get a good idea if and where a good structural member would be. Also if one could be located, fastening a rail to it would surely cause a dent in spot in the paneling.

My only thought thus far is to go inside the pantry on the left side and cut an access panel in its wall to get a look see as to what and where any supports are behind the wall.

I would appreciate any ideas before I start cutting into the back panel if and when it warms up here in IL. thanx
2 REPLIES 2

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
The wall is made by 2x2 wood studs standing in the rounded area. The luan panels are what rounds the curve. A stud finder is what you need. I have had the rounded wall in the bedroom of my 316RL apart before...should be the same in your 318RL
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the manufacturer with the serial number and other id information. They can probably give you a good ides of what is in that wall. Who is the manufacturer, and where are they located. I have doen this with two cifferent manufacturers, and they have been very helpful. One even had a blueprint that the coach was built from. Of course, there are those days that something didn't fit just right, so they just made do. Worst case you might have to go into the back of the wall and add supports. We don't have inside steps, but the grab rails by the outside door are essential for us.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.