cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Let's talk generators - again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still doing research on a generator for my 5er.

First off, "the boss" has decided that SHE does not want a portable unit, for the sole purpose of being able to run the air conditioner(s) in the 5er at any time, even while driving. Also, being able to power up the 5er at rest stops, events, and such without having to drag out something on wheel and wires.

My 5er is a 50 amp with 2 AC's and Residential refrigerator. I have no issues with the refrigerator, powered by a 1000 watt inverter, powered by 2-twelve volt batteries when off grid.

So, that has pretty much narrowed down my list to the Cummins Onan RV generators. My 5er is designed to fit a generator in the front bay:

And the two under consideration:

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 Gasoline Generator
Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP Generator

One thing I'm not able to determine, especially with the gasoline version, is the fuel tank. Does anyone know if the generator itself has a fuel tank? Or does a separate fuel tank need to be installed somewhere in the 5er.

I have a portable generator I use at home, and it has it's own gas tank attached. Holds 2.5 gallons.

For those of you with a 5er, no doubt the generator is installed in the front bay. Where is your gasoline supply for the generator at (if you have one).

If you have LP version's fuel, no doubt it has to be supplied by an external tank somewhere. Did you just tap into your existing 5er gas lines, or install a separate gas tank/bottle. I always carry a 3rd - 30 pound propane tank with us in the pass through because we do use this camper in the winter (a lot) and wanted a back-up full tank, all the time.

Last question? Portable units are ruled out. Other than Onan, are there any other manufacturers that make an in-house RV generator, similar to the Onan. Or is Onan the only one "out there". If there are others, what are they?

Yes, I know these things are "pricey", but I'll deal with that once I get the logistics figured out.

Your experience is greatly appreciated.
75 REPLIES 75

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
OK, Onan makes an inverter...in diesel. That means they have the tech, so why not put it in a gas genset? This is my point.

Honda =used= to make a genset, but it appears that it's no longer made.

I've seen a couple bumper mount gensets that were almost silent. They were mounted in enclosures on a rear rack.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
My thoughts, for what they're worth...

1. I totally agree with the poster that called the Onans "Neanderthals". They =are=, and it still baffles me why they haven't started making inverter-type generators OR that Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc. haven't started making Onan-style gen-packs.

2. I'd prefer gas over LP as we typically camp well over 5,000', usually around 7,000', and LP just poops out, BUT I do understand the overall convenience of LP. I don't have an issue with storing gas as Sta-Bil is my friend.

3. Not sure if the Onans have a remote start fob, but that would be useful for starting the genny and A/C before stopping to get the rig cooled down for the fur kids. With the slides in and both A/Cs running, bet it'd cool down PDQ.

4. Personally, I'd still favor a mounted portable on a rear rack.

Lyle

Onan makes inverter style gensets in Diesel.

Honda makes a 6000 watt RV genset. EV6000 I think.

I think Onan dropped their remote but I think Intelletic or others do.

Bumper mounts are loud and not allowed at many venues.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:

1. I totally agree with the poster that called the Onans "Neanderthals". They =are=, and it still baffles me why they haven't started making inverter-type generators OR that Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc. haven't started making Onan-style gen-packs.

2. I'd prefer gas over LP as we typically camp well over 5,000', usually around 7,000', and LP just poops out, BUT I do understand the overall convenience of LP. I don't have an issue with storing gas as Sta-Bil is my friend.

3. Not sure if the Onans have a remote start fob, but that would be useful for starting the genny and A/C before stopping to get the rig cooled down for the fur kids. With the slides in and both A/Cs running, bet it'd cool down PDQ.

Lyle

Prior to getting my current rig I had a mounted portable genset on a custom welded platform. It was a very nice set up. That old set up was almost as nice my current built in set up.
However I still had to deal with cas gans, I had to physically plug RV into unit.
it was electric start, but no key fob.
It was a fantastic set up in many ways. However it was not powerful enough to run both AC's. Most portables cannot power 2 AC units. Those large portables that can power to AC's are very heavy.AT some point their weight impacts the convenience factor
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

This is my recommendation as well. The RV, closed up and in the sun for hours while traveling, will be very hot inside. It will take some time for it to begin to cool down, and before that happens, the animals will be subjected to very high heat.

I would not feel comfortable inside Cracker Barrel eating lunch with my truck engine running to keep A.C going for the dog! Sorry but I do not have that much faith in my fellow man that someone won't drive off with my truck,5th wheel and dog!
However leaving dog inside RV with the AC on is easy with the 5500 lp.
Push the button for the electric, and turn on the AC. No cords, no chains,no gas worries. Far fewer security risk.

Secondly yes the RV can be hot but it starts to cool immedaily. 2 AC's going with slides retracted you feel the cool air immediately.
The animals are not exposed to very high heat. Certainly no worse than getting into a hot car during the summer. My dog is very content in RV with AC on.
Correct Trax,Splendide

pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

No campground where I live sells bulk propane--and few do exchange tanks.

ford truck guy wrote:
Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..

Move south ! !

Only Kidding ! .. I have to say that almost every campground I have been at sells propane refills.. BUT then again, i usually stay on the East Coast and at larger campgrounds...

Come to think of it, there was only 1 place that I stayed at in the last 2 years that I can remember that did not sell it, that was the DE state Park..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the OP can live with a rack and enclosure on the rear of the RV, a 3400 watt Champion with remote electric start would be a good choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No campground where I live sells bulk propane--and few do exchange tanks.

ford truck guy wrote:
Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

I too started off by using portables then switched to the on board Onan, but the LP 6500.. I went with that after a long conversation with Onan techs about max usage and we decided that would be best.

It is thirsty IF boon docking, if you do that kind of stuff.. BUT, if traveling, its is fantastic, just push a button and forget it... Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..

When our 2016 fifth Wheel was totaled, I tossed around the idea of not swapping it into the new one, DW said there was no chance, IT HAD TO GO INTO the new one... And we all know about Happy Wives ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 5500 Onan LP. It does a great job. But I'm not an extended run user.
I am a convenience user.
I use it at some form of pit stop. But generally not for extended periods.
LP is not as efficient as gas and does not produce as much power as gas.
However if you are not running genset for extended periods LP is fine.
My rig came factory with 4-20# tanks. I can carry 80# without any additional effort.
If I know I'm going off grid for an extended period, I could easily grab a couple more tanks.
But for an occasional overnight and lots of pit stops LP is more than adequate.
A big advantage of LP over gas is that it burns clean and sores for long periods without issue. Gas gensets are known for gummed up carburetors and stale gas issues. LP gensets do not mind if they sit for awhile.
If you are an avid boondocker and go off grid for extended periods I suggest investing in solar.
However if you are a convenience user, looking to be self contained with push button electric available at any time. A built-in Onan LP can't be beat.
Correct Trax,Splendide

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I think the issue of having a built-in gas generator is having EPA approved tank/vents/safety requirements. Toyhaulers typically meet this requirement because they also have on-board fueling stations at the rear of the unit, where I'm guessing the gas tank is also located. To add gas tank, etc to a standard 5th, would be a tougher upgrade(not that it cannot be done), but there additional risks to consider.

If I were doing this upgrade, I'd stick with propane, even though I'd prefer gas as well.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I rather have the Gasoline version personally. Easier to see how much fuel is left with an actual gauge. I would think you could get gasoline much easier than propane at any given moment. With 30 and 40 lb tanks you are limited to a refill rather than an exchange. I am only 37, but manhandling 30 and 40 lb propane tanks every time I go camping seems like an unnecessary chore to me.

Propane is less efficient than gasoline and costs more as well.

If propane is 1.1 gal per hour, for 48 hours of use you are using 52 gallons of LP. 1 gallon of propane= 4.2 lbs. My local joint is $1 per pound for a refill. 52 gallons x 4.2 lbs= 218lbs total. @ $1 per lb, that's $218 for 48 hours of generator use.

Gasoline version is .9 gal per hour, over 48 hours of use you use 43 Gallons of gas. Gas by me is currently 2.50 a gallon, so $86 in gasoline.

To extend that out, assume 400 hours of generator use for a year, which may be in line for a full timer?

Propane= $1848
Gasoline= $900

Another thought, if you only use half of your propane bottle, you still have to pull it out to refill it. If you use half of your gasoline, you can fill it up when you are filling up your vehicle.

The only downside of the gasoline version is gas doesn't last as long sitting idle. However, I never had an issue with gasoline if it's been treated for long term storage. This includes all my vehicles that sit for 5-6 months at a time over winter.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really. Per the Onan specs at full load the Propane drinks 1.1 gal per hour, while a gas powered of the same model drinks .9 gal of gas per hour.
We don't have to carry Gasoline and find a place for the Gas Tank, and don't plan to run ours for extended periods, like just recently we've had several power failures lasting several hours. Go to the RV and make supper running the Genny.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
We have the on board Onan 5500 and when running both ACs (15K units) we will go thru a 40Lb tank in about 10 hours.

WOW !! Thirsty !!!!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

This is my recommendation as well. The RV, closed up and in the sun for hours while traveling, will be very hot inside. It will take some time for it to begin to cool down, and before that happens, the animals will be subjected to very high heat.