Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member / Fifth Wheel Owner

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.

I'm finally joining the forum because today DW and I purchased a 2012 Forest River Sierra 345RET. It's a brand new unit on clearance and we got an incredible deal. I've searched the site a few times while researching for a 5th and I'm excited to be a member.

My first question has to do with my TV and hitch set up.
I'm getting into a 2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel short box. With the new Dodge pick ups can you get away without having to use a slider hitch? The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in the Hensley Trailer saver and want to know if this set up will work. I believe the new short boxes are over six feet.

Thanks in advance for any help I might receive.

Edit: I haven't officially purchased the short bed yet so If it's going to be a problem I can get into an 8ft bed. I just prefer the shorter option.
18 REPLIES 18

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was gonna say, the trailer is too much for a 2500. I don't want more than 10,000lb loaded behind ours. FWIW 2500's are scarce on the lots here even in srw, 3500 is not much more money and has higher payload.

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd rather play it on the safe side. I do have 3500 in mind but it's a short box mega cab.

I can already see that this forum is going to be a great place for us to learn and get feedback moving forward.

THanks

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
The 2013 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000# The truck with you, wife, fuel, hitch, etc is probably 7,500-8,000# as someone else recently found out. The trailer your looking at is about 11,500# empty which means loaded around 13,000# at 20% that's a 2,600# pin weight. You might want to look at the 3500 series truck instead.

Ram Truck website

The trucks can pull more than they can carry and pin weight is always the gotcha in the deal. Average 5er pin weight is 20-25% of trailers actual weight. Not uncommon for people to add 1,000 to 1,500# of stuff to their trailer.

The 2012 Forest River Sierra 345RET has a rounded aerodynamic nose which helps with you turning radius. The standard bed appears to be 6'4" so you're probably ok with a short bed. I prefer the long bed so I can put stuff between the cab and the hitch like coolers and toolbox/aux fuel tank in future.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
hi and welcome to the site. I only had long beds so can't answer but plenty of help will come along 🙂
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va