cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New rig for boondocking?

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of a new rig, and maybe a fifth-wheel this time. I have never towed a fifth-wheel before, though, and am uncertain whether that would be a good choice. Perhaps I can benefit from the expertise on this forum.

Our camping is almost exclusively boondocking, and typically older Forest Service campgrounds or โ€œdispersal sitesโ€. Maneuverability into these older facilities can be challenging, and the roads to and from can be rudimentary. Most of the rigs I see advertised are too big, but there are some 30-ft models that might be suitable.

I have been using an Arctic Fox travel trailer for the last 10 years, and a Nomad (by Skyline) of similar size for years before that. With a gross dry weight of 7200lb and a length of 28โ€™-6โ€, the AF is easy to tow. Any TT or 5er I get will be fairly easy to tow, but what about backing in to a site? Any advantage to a 5th wheel in terms of control and maneuverability? Getting my current rig into a site without running over trees and rocks can take some doing.

What brands or models cater to boondockers? No fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, or TV Is needed, and I donโ€™t think I have ever turned on the AC in any RV I have had. I do need cold-weather capability.

Thanks for any thoughts, or for issues that I ought to be thinking of.
17 REPLIES 17

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe groundhogy is talking about a Mini Wood Stove for RV and not a full size unit.
Check Youtube, there are several videos on stoves in RV's.

I've seen a wood stove mounted in the back seat of a car. And it worked.

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
A wood stove in an RV?!

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 29 foot airstream and like how i can tuck it in and under trees.

I have camped in pretty cold. In my wish list would be some type of heat back up plan. Like if the furnace breaks down and its out for a few days or week.
Would love a wood stove.