cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rig for boondocking?

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of a new rig, and maybe a fifth-wheel this time. I have never towed a fifth-wheel before, though, and am uncertain whether that would be a good choice. Perhaps I can benefit from the expertise on this forum.

Our camping is almost exclusively boondocking, and typically older Forest Service campgrounds or “dispersal sites”. Maneuverability into these older facilities can be challenging, and the roads to and from can be rudimentary. Most of the rigs I see advertised are too big, but there are some 30-ft models that might be suitable.

I have been using an Arctic Fox travel trailer for the last 10 years, and a Nomad (by Skyline) of similar size for years before that. With a gross dry weight of 7200lb and a length of 28’-6”, the AF is easy to tow. Any TT or 5er I get will be fairly easy to tow, but what about backing in to a site? Any advantage to a 5th wheel in terms of control and maneuverability? Getting my current rig into a site without running over trees and rocks can take some doing.

What brands or models cater to boondockers? No fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, or TV Is needed, and I don’t think I have ever turned on the AC in any RV I have had. I do need cold-weather capability.

Thanks for any thoughts, or for issues that I ought to be thinking of.
17 REPLIES 17

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe groundhogy is talking about a Mini Wood Stove for RV and not a full size unit.
Check Youtube, there are several videos on stoves in RV's.

I've seen a wood stove mounted in the back seat of a car. And it worked.

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
A wood stove in an RV?!

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 29 foot airstream and like how i can tuck it in and under trees.

I have camped in pretty cold. In my wish list would be some type of heat back up plan. Like if the furnace breaks down and its out for a few days or week.
Would love a wood stove.