cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie hitch questions

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing a TT for the last season. It was too much for our F150 (MGWR exceeded by 500 lbs). So we bought a F350. Long story short, we are now in the process of purchasing a Bighorn 3160E FW. Our truck doesn't have a hitch, so we need to get one installed. Our truck is a 2014 F350 Lariat 4X4 crew cab with the short (6.5 ft. bed). This model with 4X4 sits very high compared with our 2013 F150. The dealer will install a hitch (brand unspecified) for $1800. I have no idea if that is way out of line or not. The advantage is (theoretically) that the dealer will then deal with leveling issues. From other threads I have read, this can be problematic.

I am tempted to let the dealer manage the install. They do good work and I am totally unqualified at this point to deal with the complexities of FW hitches. I am good at TT hitching, but this is completely new to me.

Any help would be appreciated.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog
15 REPLIES 15

Arch_Stanton
Explorer
Explorer
I am no expert, I am sure several will come along...but in your shoes I would do this..(what I did, but I did the install myself...very comfortable and have the shop to do it in)
Find out, to the very best of your ability, the maximum GVW of your new RV.
Find out the pin weight as well.
Armed with that info, check the usual sources for a hitch rated for your trailer.
I would suggest the B&W line...either the Companion or another unit. Some will leave rails inn the bed of your truck when the hitch isn't installed. The Companion will not. The prices will reflect the differences.
Decide which you want, what will work for you.
Then go talk to the dealer and ask him exactly what hitch he is planning to sell to you. If you trust their work, but don't like the hitch option, perhaps you can select a different hitch and have them do the install.
If he won't install a hitch you choose then I am certain there is a qualified shop within reasonable distance that will do so for a fee.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad cab 4x4 dually, 5.9 Cummins, 6-speed manual, Jakobs Exhaust Brake, Air Bags, trans coolers, Redline in everything.
Towing a 2014 Eclipse Attitude 32AKLG 5'er on a B&W Turnover Ball 5'er Hitch