cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality control ?

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad

Purchased my Reflection 5th wheel in 2016 as a 2017 model.   I noticed a bulge in the lower aluminum skirt in the extreme back between the slide and the back wall of the trailer.   It felt like something very solid was behind the skirt.   I dismissed it and never complained to the dealer.   There were several other issues needing attention so this one was not mentioned.  However through the years It became an eye sore to me and when we returned from our Fall trip this year I decided to remove that 4 foot section of skirt to see what was pushing it out.   To my surprise the trailer wall was not centered on top of the floor and what I saw was over one inch of flooring sticking out beyond the wall.!!   The vinyl floor and plywood were visible.

I sawed off the protruding floor and now the skirt fits smoothly and properly behind the molding on the back wall of the trailer.    It's common knowledge that RV's are constructed very quickly with little attention to quality control but this is unbelievable.    How could they mount the walls crooked onto the floor and not see it?   Someone plainly did not care what they were doing!!     u9RD9xEl.jpg 

3 REPLIES 3

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

A number of years ago, one of the manufacturers actually stated in their owner's manual, that it was "normal" to see bumps through the roof membrane that was things like sawdust, wood chips, screws and staples that were just laying on the roof when they laid the membrane down.  NORMAL?!  They're telling the world that they couldn't give a cr@p about sweeping or blowing off the roof before laying the membrane down, and, oh well, if some of this pokes out and causes leaks.  Can't remember if it was Forest River or Keystone, but it was one of them.

Lyle

2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

They are paid to push completed units off the assembly line.   I bet it's funny to watch them work!!!   

Yep.  They have to make X units per shift.  Once they hit that target, they get to go home.  5 hours or 8, doesn't matter to manglement.  From what I've heard, most of the people working there have 2nd full-time jobs or farms go to after their shift at the RV plant.  I've said for years that if they took an extra 15 minutes per unit, the quality would increase significantly.

Lyle

2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member