Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Maintenance

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,
I know this should probably go under tech. Issues so if moderator decides to move it that's fine. But since it pertains to my 2016 Montana 3711FL I thought I would put it here. First is there a way to tell if your roof is EPDM or rubber? The dealer told me EPDM but they are not that reliable. Also are the cleaners and UV Protectants that camping world sells.worth the money or is there something else better or recommended.
10 REPLIES 10

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Curlida wrote:
Thanks all for the info. Harold 1946 where do you get the aerospace 303 and is it pricey ?

Many RV dealers carry it, around $16./ quart. Some Walmarts also have it. I purchase it online for $50/ gallon directly from 303 products. It is also available on Amazon.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the info. Harold 1946 where do you get the aerospace 303 and is it pricey ?

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I used to coat my class A's roof with the camping world product, it was supposed to, seal the roof, provide RV protection, and by being reflective reduce heat transfer. I never had any problems, costed three times in nine years. That being said, I did nothing to the roof of my C, and also never had any problems.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Your wise to investigate about your roof. They're not cheap to replace and a lot of damage can result if not maintained. Link provided is to get you started. On page 10 (I think) has a flow chart so you can figure out what type of roof material you have. To look under neath your roof material, remove the plastic garnish ring under a vent and take a look. Also there are some videos on line.

http://www.dicorproducts.com/resources/guide/RudysRoofbook_16.pdf
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't do anything with my roof. Every time you wash it you remove part of the wear layer. It gets a little chalky so what? My park trailer sat out for 10 years in the weather. Never did anything but caulk it. Nobody that I care about sees my roof so I just leave it alone.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some use Blue Dawn Dish Washing Liquid. Agree you can spend all amounts of Money on different produces, but in the end all it needs is a decent cleaning several times a year.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow the roof manufacturers instructions. Like others, I wash the roof with a mild detergent like Spic N Span, and check caulking. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and spend the money on the protective coatings.

There will be spots from tree sap and bird droppings which will not kill the roof. I do not try to get my roof snowy white since the only time I see it is when I got up top 3 or 4 times a year.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your roof is likely EPDM, which is commonly called a rubber roof.

Unless you have indoor storage, it will be hard to keep your roof looking like new. I wash my roof a couple times a year with car wash soap, and car wash brush. This is a good time to check for any areas that may have caulk issues, cracked or damaged vents, etc.

Jerry

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
The two most commonly used roofing materials are EPDM and TPO. They are both maintained in the same manner. Murphys Oil Soap is what I prefer for cleaning but there are many other products that work just fine. Just be sure not to use anything with citric acid or petroleum distillates.
I use Aerospace 303 Protectant, which is SPF 40, on everything from the AC shrouds to the tires. except the glass.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
EPDM is rubber. TPO is not.
bumpy