cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV SOLAR GENERATOR

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I'm recovered from Hurricane Irma. My current generator is only useful if and when i could find gasoline. I actually had alot of gasoline already stored on my property, but it still didn't last very long. Anyone ever try a solar generator?

I have been researching many different ones. I only found 1 that could be added onto without mods and comes with a 30amp plug built right in.

"INERGY... KODIAK...SOLAR...GENERATOR"
(Had to add the ... in the name / auto correct keeps correcting the word engery.

Has anyone ever used this generator and can share their experience. I found one on sale for $1500. Normally $2000. Not a casual investment for me.
9 REPLIES 9

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please do not double post. See any new replies to your thread here.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Solar generator is a way for a company to pick your pocket. Run away.

Here is some information that may be useful:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I don't have any natural gas lines ran on the property. However the original solar setup for the house was going to run me $40,000... and now knowing I can go to jail if I actually use it during a long term power outage... makes me reconsider the whole idea.. yes I don't want any more electric bills but apparently you still receive a $50 to $60 bill regardless according to a fellow homeowner... and doesn't help me in an emergency situation...
I'm starting to think 100 gallon L.P. tank for the house... with L.P. generator..
However for the rv... I couldn't buy gas or propane for weeks after the storm.. heck there was no meat to buy for 3 weeks here after it was all over with...i was home at the time of the hurricane but I wasn't supposed to be... canceled my trip last minute... so thankful I did... I had a unicorn trip planned a year ahead of time for back to back state parks in the Keys... for a month long stay...
After all my gasoline ran out ... me and the fur babies just stayed in the RV. My refrigerator and hot water is all LP...
And I bought a cheap harbor freight solar kit for the batteries and it worked fine. However none of my 110 plugs will work without power and I'm honestly not sure how to install a 12v that will work off my battery...

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RvNewbieFl wrote:
And it's illegal to install solar if it's not tied into the grid...

I read that about Florida. I don't think that's an issue up here in NJ. I don't have solar power, but I know many of my neighbors do.

Having gone through the same difficulty in getting gasoline in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, I converted my generator to LP/NG. During the most recent outage, I ran everything I needed on NG no problem. If the you-know-what really hit the fan and NG was interrupted, I can run it off of propane. I have a 1,000 gallon tank. If I use that up, then we're definitely in a zombie apocalypse situation and I'd either have to form a clan or decide which one to join for survival.

There are tri-fuel kits that allow you to use gasoline, or dedicated kits that are just LP/NG (I installed the dedicated kit).

Do the math on how long you'd like to be able to run the generator using alternative fuels, factoring in increased consumption for theoretically less efficient fuels. BTUs for fuels in order of most to least are gasoline, propane and natural gas.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Check out my cousin's bus-rebuild blog: www.beginningfromthismorning.com. They're completely renovating a '64 GM bus and plan on it being all-electric, except for water heater and back-up furnace. Bought 8 435w used commercial solar panels and a '13 Nissan Leaf battery. About 3,400w of PV generation and about 3,200 amp hours of battery storage. Yes, it was way more than your budget, but it's also a cool idea. There are people buying up electric car batteries to make backup storage for their houses.

Personally, my needs are =way= less, so I'm thinking of =one= similar panel and 7 Nissan modules, for 435w of generation and 460+ amp hours storage; more than double my 2 6v golf cart batteries. Cool thing is that I can do this in stages. Add one battery first and just charge off the house charger. Add solar later on. Maybe add a second 7-module battery. Yes, the battery would be 48v, so I'd have to add a step-down transformer, but that's pretty easy.

As far as being illegal to have solar while on the grid, make your "solar generator" temporary with an INPUT plug into the panel then, after the emergency is over, simply unplug your "generator" and you're no longer connected. I =seriously= doubt the power company is going to come 'round to see what you're up to. Frankly, it'd be no different than if you'd wired in a gas generator, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
And it's illegal to install solar if it's not tied into the grid...

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
After alot of research ... I'm starting to think 100 gallon L.P. tank for the house and the rv solar generator for the RV...

However I posted this with the travel trailer section... My rv is a travel trailer... but no one believes me that adding solar to my sticks and bricks won't work because it's illegal to use your own home solar if the Electric Company grid is out....

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
How about a propane or natural gas fueled generator?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Not including the solar panels or additional batteries.