cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Said goodbye to our 5th wheel yesterday

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2010 Dutchmen 28RK we really liked, she loved the huge peninsula kitchen. We were on the Oregon coast getting ready to leave and in doing my walk around I noticed the tires were extremely close to the fender skirting like about 2".
Walked to the other side and noticed the tires were sucked in to the body quite a ways, about 5" so I nervously set out for home about 80 miles away knowing I didn't have much clearance.
Got home, unloaded and put the unit in the spot I keep it and then sat in my chair trying to figure out the problem, then it hit me, I walked over and looked under the unit and one of the angle iron supports between the 10" I beams had a failed weld and looking further I could see the lack of support had allowed the I beams to collapsed towards the driver side causing the whole trailer to shift over and fall down to the current state. I tried starting a case with Lippert and they wanted almost $3000 to have a tech drive over about 9 hours, 2 nights lodging and about two days of billable hours. Looking online I see a few class action suites but I read because Lippert made the frame to the Dutchmen specs they are not liable.
I could not find anyone to work on the frame, no certified welders was the reason. So we made a claim to insurance and they totaled the rig so we signed over the title and we'll probably get a wired money transfer today.

So we said goodbye to the 5er and we're moving to a travel trailer but I will be inspecting the suspension and possibly adding metal if I see the need. We like a floor plan from Grand Design but I guess they use Lippert also so we'll see.

We were very lucky my wife put good coverage on the old trailer but I feel for those who might have lost out if their trailer was rendered useless due to a bad weld.

I would suggest everyone check their welds on the hangers to the frame, it's the most common issue I found online.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
0 REPLIES 0