cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taller truck, additional solution

daglenn1960
Explorer
Explorer
With the purchase of a 2018 3500 Ram SRW we had a common dilemma, the truck w/ new B+W hitch is taller than the old truck (why B&W puck models can't be lowered down to a more standard 15-16" height I don't understand). I found an additional solution to the normal options: flip axles, raise trailer, lower truck, etc..

We replaced our pinbox (Lippert 1621) with a new Trailair Roto-Flex, and gained 2 inches of 'height', that is to say the Roto-Flex is (at the same height placement) 2" 'shorter' than an original 1621 pinbox. We still have good bed clearance (6.5") and the combo of moving the pinbox up 1 hole (1") and a shorter (2") pinbox puts us close to level again.

This height fact is not documented at all by Lippert (or really any other pinbox mfr that was comparable), and calling their support desk could only provide me with some tech drawings. After some comparisons of the sketchy drawings I took a chance. On receiving/measuring the new pinbox, it is in fact exactly 2" shorter than a stock 1621. While this only works for Roto-flex compatible pin boxes, it is a possible solution for some to get the pin height down a bit.
2011 Cougar 276RLS
2007 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73
Dave, Sarah, and Ely (weim)
1 REPLY 1

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
No, the height is something LCI doesn't seem to worry about. I just replaced a 1716 with a Trailair LO7, I found your 2"s. But I am only in the center hole with my B&W, so I most likely will get 1" back.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD