Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 5'er with a 10' flatbed truck?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

I am considering moving my 5th wheel hitch to another truck. The challenge with this truck (E450) is that it has a 10' flatbed.

I cannot mount the hitch directly over the axle unless I cut almost 2' off of the bed. Not a good option.

The obvious alternative is to move the hitch back far enough that the trailer clears the back end of the bed. I know that this is NOT ideal but

I have little clue as to what the down side to this move other than reduced tow capacity. Given that I want to tow a 14k trailer with an E450 I am hopeful that the weight won't be an issue.

What other concerns should I have?

Thanks.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
25 REPLIES 25

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
I noticed that the OP stated he had an E450, not an F450. Big difference between the two trucks. The commercial version of the F450 has a RGAWR of about 3000 pounds more than the E450 as well as a longer wheelbase for a given cab-to-axle ratio. So, towing a fiver with a significant pin weight centered two feet behind the rear axle will likely affect an E450 much more than an F450.

I assumed it was an error. An E450 with a 10ft flatbed would be a strange bird. Especially if it had more than 2 doors.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I noticed that the OP stated he had an E450, not an F450. Big difference between the two trucks. The commercial version of the F450 has a RGAWR of about 3000 pounds more than the E450 as well as a longer wheelbase for a given cab-to-axle ratio. So, towing a fiver with a significant pin weight centered two feet behind the rear axle will likely affect an E450 much more than an F450.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dayle1 wrote:
I agree 100percent, I have seen a number of rigs setup that way for transient workers like welders , etc. It would take a very heavy fiver to impact front axle weight on an F450. Also, the Reese Sidewinder moves the pivot point back 2 ft behind the truck axle and no owner has reported sway issues even on SRW trucks. You won't have a tailgate, but you can notch the back corners of the flat bed and you can minimize how far back the hitch needs to be for clearance.
As far as the Sidewinder goes, the pivot moves but the weight still sits on the hitch which is still over the rear axle. The weight doesn't move, just the pivot.

In fact that is one of their selling points: "With Sidewinder the trailer pin weight is always above/forward of axle and never unloads the truck's front axle".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the '70's when I bought my new truck it had a sheet in the back of the seat back with a drawing of the truck with a shaded area recommending the CG of any camper or other load. It extended from approx front of wheel well to the back of it. The truck campers I rented had the CG info for that camper also. If the CG fell in the range and the weight agreed... off we went to have a good time.

Looking for that info now on the internet I can't find it. It just states that info is on the customer information sheet in the glove box and is specific to that vehicle and varies with options.

Depending on my specific needs I've tried to stay close to that and no problems before or behind the axle.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not worry about 12" behind the rear axle and cutting the corners off of the bed. Without the wheelbase it's impossible to figure how much weight will come off the front axle plus we need your axle weights and pin weight.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSteiner51 wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I am considering moving my 5th wheel hitch to another truck. The challenge with this truck (E450) is that it has a 10' flatbed.

I cannot mount the hitch directly over the axle unless I cut almost 2' off of the bed. Not a good option.

The obvious alternative is to move the hitch back far enough that the trailer clears the back end of the bed. I know that this is NOT ideal but

I have little clue as to what the down side to this move other than reduced tow capacity. Given that I want to tow a 14k trailer with an E450 I am hopeful that the weight won't be an issue.

Thanks.

S.

Been there, done that... 11 ft flat bed, 30,000 lb trailer, no problem. Makes the front slightly lighter but nowhere near as much as a bumper pull. takes off the front axle approx what a Diesel engine puts on extra over the gas and adds it to the rear. Makes for a puller in soft soil or snow.

I have towed gooseneck/5th wheels with the hitches 9 inches forward to 2 foot behind the axle and heard all kinds of claims from experts who knew it all. Smile, shake your head and walk away. Trying to reason is a waste of time especially when on the clock and time is money.

I agree 100%, I have seen a number of rigs setup that way for transient workers like welders , etc. It would take a very heavy fiver to impact front axle weight on an F450. Also, the Reese Sidewinder moves the pivot point back 2 ft behind the truck axle and no owner has reported sway issues even on SRW trucks. You won't have a tailgate, but you can notch the back corners of the flat bed and you can minimize how far back the hitch needs to be for clearance.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your question on the Escapees HDT forum (and the MDT forum)

The HDT folks have lots of experience with the hitch -for very heavy 5th wheel trailers- well behind the axle of 'singled' trucks (not tandem).
It's pretty much SOP for them.
Some (genuine) engineers over there may be able to do front axle weight calcs for you.

Another issue:
Don't rely on what others have done in OTHER states!
Depending on where YOU live and *travel*, your flatbed *may* require you to stop at scales.
Even a pickup with a flatbed is req'd to stop at scales in CA.

Good luck with your project.

:C

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can try it but I don't think you will enjoy the ride, it will likely porpoise and make the steering squirrely.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, my thought would be that if it was no big deal you wouldn't see all the hitches mounted over the rear axle. Two feet behind the rear axle is a lot, IMO.

And I always figured one of the things that makes a 5th wheel tow better than a bumper pull is the location of the hitch weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks.

S.

Been there, done that... 11 ft flat bed, 30,000 lb trailer, no problem. Makes the front slightly lighter but nowhere near as much as a bumper pull. takes off the front axle approx what a Diesel engine puts on extra over the gas and adds it to the rear. Makes for a puller in soft soil or snow.

I have towed gooseneck/5th wheels with the hitches 9 inches forward to 2 foot behind the axle and heard all kinds of claims from experts who knew it all. Smile, shake your head and walk away. Trying to reason is a waste of time especially when on the clock and time is money.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
edit