cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of hitch do I need?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
While not new to Rv-ing - we've always owned class A's - as some of you know we finally made a decision on a FW. It's a 2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29RW. Unloaded 11k, GVWr 14k, Pin weight 2,350 (we are planning to add a W/D in the future, I am guessing that will impact that). My truck is a new 2020 F350 STX 6.7l 4x4 with 8 foot bed. If I understand the 8 foot bed keeps me from having to have a slider. The truck does not have pucks installed so it's a total install job on the hitch. I am negotiating with the dealer to have them throw in the hitch or at least the labor to install. He says it's a 4 hour job.

I am not looking for a top of the line hitch, but a middle of the road is fine. What should I be asking him to install? (this may be dependent on what he has available - he's saying he has supply issues due to COVID)

What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all for the continued help. This truck and FW shopping is a totally new experience and you guys have really made this easier.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
35 REPLIES 35

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
Where would I get the puck system installed? My Ford dealer said they don't do that there. And what does that cost? I assume with the pucks I don't need the rails, just the hitch right?

Correct, just the hitch. I'd talk some more with your truck dealer, service manager, etc. They can do this, if they want, not that big of a deal. IIRC, the puck kit from Ford ACC is about $500.

If your dealer refuses to install, a truck service center, fabrication shop, trailer sales service center, just need to check around. Don't let back alley Joe work on your new truck!

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not use any single point attachment hitch, which have been mentioned, on a new truck bed.

The puck system is available from Ford Accessories, or through your Ford dealer, who can easily install the under bed kit for you. Now you just order the B&W 3300 from E-trailer that fits right in your new puck system. The hitch comes apart easily into two pieces, heaviest about 78 lbs, so you, maybe wife, can install yourself.

If going rail system, get the B&W Patriot hitch, also available from E-trailer, who has good pricing.

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Where would I get the puck system installed? My Ford dealer said they don't do that there. And what does that cost? I assume with the pucks I don't need the rails, just the hitch right? But I thought the puck system was factory installed - place on the frame and sandwiched between the frame and the bed. Seems like a pretty extensive after market project.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would also go with the factory puck type hitch mount. Leaves a clean flat bed when you remove the hitch.

As far a hitches, any of the name brand hitches are good. B&W, Reese (higher end models, not the low priced ones), Curt, Pullrite, are all good hitches. I like the Reese Elite and the Pullrite for the wrap around jaw that encircles the king pin.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
You will get many answers, IMO for the weight of that fifth wheel I would go with the Andersen hitch. As far as cost, less than thousand for the hitch, but then there is gooseneck ball, if it were me, I'd go the extra ,and have the puck system installed ,and then options are pretty much limitless on what hitch you want.

No brainer... - B&W Companion, single point attachment.

No need to skimp on " middle of the road" hitches... maybe $1600.00 parts---- labor would be maybe 2 hours? only 1 hole to drill, bolt on mounting brackets...

Hitch -
Companion, 18k, turnover ball

Mounting kit - mounting kit for 2020 Ford
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet