Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Generator?

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco Pinnacle fifth wheel is pre-wired for I assume an Onan 5500 Generator

My original plan was to buy a couple of Honda 2000's and hook them together

Looking at the specs for the Onan the sound rating is about 70 dB while the Honda's is 59 (since dB is logarithmic, that is twice as loud)

Just curious what others opinions are of having an on-board generator Vs the Honda's?

Have 2 A/C units to run. Like the quiet of the honda's and the convenience of the Onan
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
paulbeauchemin wrote:
My Jayco Pinnacle fifth wheel is pre-wired for I assume an Onan 5500 Generator

My original plan was to buy a couple of Honda 2000's and hook them together

Looking at the specs for the Onan the sound rating is about 70 dB while the Honda's is 59 (since dB is logarithmic, that is twice as loud)

Just curious what others opinions are of having an on-board generator Vs the Honda's?

Have 2 A/C units to run. Like the quiet of the honda's and the convenience of the Onan

The main advantage to the Onan is that the coach is not only pre-wired, but has knock-outs for the vents and inlets already in place, so no extra jerry-rigging is necessary. A properly installed Onan =should= have no issues with fueling, exhaust and cooling; a DIY install, if not done very carefully, can be downright dangerous. That being said, it still blows my mind that Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc., all haven't started building gensets for the same application that the Onans are, but are inverters instead of straight generators. OTOH, it still blows my mind that Onan hasn't made an inverter genset, which makes a =whole= lot more sense, since they already have all the patterns and enclosures.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

I opted for the 6500 when getting my Onan, I upgraded from the twin Honda's. The sound is not noticeable, and the convenience is un matched.... Mine can run the entire trailer without worrying
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would upgrade to the microair easy start kit on each air conditioner. I'd get a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with remote electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
There are kits to put 3 Hondas in parallel. Extended run fuel tanks also.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are two Honda 2000s going to run two A/Cs?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our on board Onan is quieter than our in-laws paired Hondas that sit outside, by far. Side by side maybe the Onan is louder but since it's built in vs sitting outside, you don't notice it.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor