cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health Insurance

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that are full-time or most-of-the-time but not yet old enough for Medicare, how do you handle your health insurance needs. My wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to stay on our former employers Health Insurance group plan as if we were still employees by selling back sick time we accrued over the years. We were able to purchase enough to remain covered until we reach the current Medicare eligibility age of 65. It's great insurance if we are home and everything is in network but what we found when we need care while traveling, most everything is out of network and we end up paying out of pocket. We have been tossing around the idea of becoming semi-full-time, meaning away from home for 9-10 months of the year. Obviously we would need to either keep the policy we have and put about 20K aside in case we need it or find another type of insurance to supplement what we already have. So what have you all found to be the best options when traveling? Thanks in advance for your replies.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
8 REPLIES 8

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Setting aside the politics of if it will remain or is it right...

How much will you be earning going forward? Obamacare is heavily subsidizes low earners. If you are cutting back to part time, there's a good chance, you can get a heavily subsidized plan. Of course, low earners is up to around $65k (so not particularly low).

This won't solve out of state issues but would certainly help out with plan costs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
For those of you that are full-time or most-of-the-time but not yet old enough for Medicare, how do you handle your health insurance needs.

You domicile in s state that has "portable" health plans. That is, plans with nationwide networks so you can get in-network health care in any state.

Most health plans let you get out-of-network care, but you typically pay dearly.

In most cases, BlueCross offers those portable plans. And these are typically PPO health plans, but not always. For example, in FL, BlueCross offers EPO plans with nationwide coverage.

If you full-time, the most popular states to domicile are TX, SD, and FL because there are no state taxes in any of these states. However, if you're under 65 only FL offers portable health plans, SD and TX do not.

The other states that I'm aware of that offer nationwide health plans are:
- Alaska
- Alabama
- Arkansas
- California
- North Dakota
- Wyoming

BTW, I'm talking about ACA ("Obamacare") health plans offered on state exchanges.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee, flyer, I was almost 19...an old guy.

Happy Veterans’ Day to us!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good ol VA! Has thanked me for my service many times. Free. Got access when I joined up at 17. Smartest thing I ever did

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
$20,000? About 8 years ago my wife broke her foot (badly). The bill was $40,000. Luckily, we paid the deductible and nothing else. I can't imagine what it would cost us today.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You are in an HMO. See if you can switch to a PPO through your employer. Depending on the state you live you may be able to get PPO plan though the ACA. 20K won't cover much since you would be paying full price at a hospital, rather than the much reduced rates insurance companies pay.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have you consulted an independent insurance agent?

Not yet. I was hoping to get others thoughts here before I did that. The more thoughts and opinions I have, the better decision I can make. I'd hate to go see an Insurance agent and just take his/her word for it. Their main goal is to sell me a policy. The goal of people here is to share their experience with others so they can make a well informed decision.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you consulted an independent insurance agent?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad