cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1000 hour Generator Maintenance

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I am approaching the 1000 hour maintenance on my Onan 8000 genset. The generator on my 2007 Monaco Knight, is not on a slide. The manual calls for replacing the thermostat, 4-hoses, pressure cap and engine belt along with flushing the coolant system. Has anyone had this done on a coach where there is no slide on the generator and what was the cost? I am considering not replacing the thermostat, hoses, belt and wait until maybe 1500 hours? I have not had any issues with my generator and have always completed all required maintenance. I would appreciate anyone thoughts regarding this issue. As always, thanks for your advice.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
2 REPLIES 2

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Country Coach Inspire does not have a slide for the generator. I've had the 1K service twice. They drop it and I take the MH home until the work is done which is usually two days. The cost has been $1,200. I always do my own 150 hr service and like you no issues with the generator which does not mean the 1K service should not be done. I have run into many who do the 150 hr service way beyond the required hours and have not done the 1K service because "the generator runs fine". The comment I like the best is "I do not use the generator very often because I'm saving it for when I really need it".
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my antifreeze flushed and changed to long life antifreeze at about 500 hrs when it was eight years old. It uses the same antifreeze as the Cat C7. Did not change the belts, but I have spares with me. Haven't thought about the thermostat. Filters get changed once or twice a year. Depends on usage and if I'm near a shop I like. Onan 7500.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.