cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990 Southwind BGE-L generator remote start help

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1990 Southwind with an Onan BGE-L 4 KW generator. The remote start pigtail at the generator control board end has a wire off it.

As you can see the top wire is Blue, then 2 empty sockets, then a red wire, then another EMPTY, then a brown wire.
You will see the green wire is just hanging out in space. Question is where does the green wire go
CAn someone with the same generator setup take a look and tell me where it goes.
I called Fleetwood and they do not have the wiring diagram nor could I find one online that is 4 wire. I have found 6 wire but not 4 wire
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind
2 REPLIES 2

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
jim@hitek

I followed the link. One of your pictures shows the connector. Although all the wires are white inn the picture the placement is what I wanted
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I made up a schematic of the Onan 6500 genset control board and although I didn't record wire colors, I can give you what the functions of mine were:

1 - Dash Remote CTR terminal (goes to CenTeR of the MOM switch on dash. When plugged into the genset board, measure ground here).
2 - Dash Remote switch terminal STOP
3 - Dash Remote switch terminal START
4 - Empty or spare
5 - Empty or spare
6 - Dash Generator Lamp (Lights when generator is running).

You can easily pry out the Generator start switch and check wire colors there.

Note that on the board, pin 1 is ground so with the main 12 pin connector plugged in, you should measure at the 6-pin connector on the board and it'll show low resistance to ground. Also, those connectors have a obvious flat spot indicating pin 1.

Looks to me like that loose wire would go between the brown and red wire, there would be 2 empty holes, than the blue wire.

My blog has a generator thread, that 6-pin you've got the disconnected wire on is the one where corrosion had open circuited pin 3 on the PCB so the genset wouldn't start from the dash switch. I added a jumper from pin 3 to 4 on the PCB and moved the start wire down one position.

Genset repairs...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.