cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1991 Pace Arrow owners.......Question

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone that has or did have a Pace arrow 1991 vintage, Chev chassis, couple questions.
If you have the 4 speed overdrive transmission are you seeing a dashboard light come on when in overdrive?? I have an overdrive light on my dash but I've never seen it come on.
Also are you seeing a drop in RPM when overdrive kicks in?? I'm at 3000 RPM and doing 55-60 MPH. thanks guys
14 REPLIES 14

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Did not get a chance to get under the rig yet. Hopefully this weekend. The light on the dash has the overdrive icon. The auto park light has its own light.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tim Nowicki wrote:
For sure there is NO button on the end of my shifter. allbrand. I will count my pan bolts to see what it will be.
There should be no button on a Chevy arm. The Ford had the button. I just changed my transmission fluid and I think there were 17 bolts in the pan. The light that you see on the dash could be for the auto park system. A 4 speed pan is easily recognized from the picture that Mike posted.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
For sure there is NO button on the end of my shifter. allbrand. I will count my pan bolts to see what it will be.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
if you have a 700 trans you will have 16 pan bolts 3000 rpms sounds high count your shifts you should have 4 shifts from first gear including torq converter lock up my guess is converter not locking up its electricly controlled

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
the button should be on the very end of the shifter arm
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Chassis is a 1991 for sure. Went under a bit ago. Found the ID tag. Pretty crusted up. I will try to restore/recover the info on the tag. There is an overdrive light on my dash cluster with a bulb and a wire going to it. So I am assuming that is an indicater light that should be working.
At any rate I will get into this to see what I may have here. Thanks guys,and keep the info coming!!!!

Shacklaw
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1991 Southwind and there is no dash light on mine either.
mine is a 4l80e
91 Southwind 33L

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Oil pan pics

4 is T-400 7 is 4L80

MrWizard
It's a 91, the trans may have been replaced with a three speed
Rebuild a three speed $1200
Rebuild a four speed OD $2500

You really need to get the number off the trans
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that its just not shifting into overdrive. If you have the D with a box around, thats the overdrive posistion. And if you do infact have a 91 chasis, you have overdrive
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
I have no button for engageing the overdrive on this rig. I will have to check to see exactly what model transmission I have on this rig. It is a 454 TBI. Letters on shifter read as follows 1 - 2 - D and then D with a square around the D. I was assuming this was an overdrive transmission.
I will check the model number on the trans, but in the mean time, anyone know what I may have here?? thanks

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
posibly a 91 on an earlier chasis. The 91 chasis was the first year with the 480LE trans.

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have the 454 TBI eng and the 4080LE transmission 2500 rpm at 65 is about normal. 3000 at 60 mph sounds high for a 4 speed transmission I don't have an overdrive light on the dash. Are you sure it is a 480LE trans? If it is a 3 speed then the rpms make sense.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 91, let me see now. If I remember correctly, when you push the button on the shift lever, the od light comes on, but overdrive is locked out. 3000 thousnad and 55 sounds a little high

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar