cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 speed auto transmission Allison with 8.3 Cummins

tazzzytazus
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody!!!! New to the forum and new to RV’ing. My wife and I love camping and love to go to different places. Without doing any research we decided to buy a motorhome. Used 1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Seemed to be in great shape. Interior is, now just worried about mechanically. We bought this in August 2017 and took a couple small trips without any problems during the summer. Over the Christmas holidays we took it from Indiana to Florida, Alabama and New Orleans before heading back home to Indiana, 2800 miles total trip. We experienced a few problems and I’m hoping for some advice. I’m a Class A truck driver but little mechanical ability, although I am very good at following directions. Coach came with all manuals, but they seem WORTHLESS for my problems. Any constructive coaching or advice will be appreciated.

1) rear brakes didn’t seem right. Got to Florida and took to an International shop in Daytona Beach. They found the “S” cans were binding and Corvus pins on slack adjuster were seize not allowing brakes to fully release. They were able to repair that - $977.14. They seem to be working fine.

2) when we stopped and put in N, the coach would not go into gear. Auto 6 speed with controller on left side of drivers seat. Repair shop stated the throttle return spring was bad and throttle linkage was binding not allowing transmission to return to idle.....lubricated linkage and replaced spring. On auto shift the coach shows a 6 on the left and the current gear on the right. I believe they call it “On Mode” or “Mode On”. The coach downshifts correctly. But when at a complete stop, it SOMETIMES will shift 1,2, then where the 6 is on the left will change to a 2 and the current gear will not go past 2 or it will downshift back to 2. This was not happening prior to the new spring. Any ideas?

3) I’m getting no heat from the dash while engine running and temp at running temperature....

4) my interior power will shut off periodically while engine running. Stays on while hooked to shore power.

5) LP gas cylinder = 100# about 30% full according to sensor. Will power on and heat for only a few minutes then cut off even though did not get to set temp of thermostat. Bad thermostat? I heard cold weather may affect it.

6) last and probably least, but would be nice. My cruise control are on center column of steering wheel. It does not engage, Check for fuses in the 3 compartments that I have found fuses, none labeled as cruise control or cc.

I’m sure there’s more to come but this is what I can think of at this moment.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You were lucky on that trip. A 22 year old coach needs a complete mechanical and RV component inspection. Then repair or replacement of defective or questionable components. Then you should have a reliable unit.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad