cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'93 E350 Motorhome - really frustrating brake problem

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I have been chasing this issue - literally - for years. I have a "93 Ford E350 Motorhome with front disc and rear drum brakes (RABS). I have had a very spongy, soft pedal and I'm almost positive I've been stopping this coach with only the front brakes. Recently pulled the rear duallys and changed out everything - new drums, hardware, wheel cylinders, shoes...

And I still have the same issue. Today, I've pulled the rear wheels again trying to adjust the brakes. I have spent several hours trying to get them adjusted but I still have no real brake in the rear wheels to speak of. My wife was in the coach, pressing the brakes and I was still able to turn the drums by hand (no tires installed yet) with the brake pedal depressed.

Also, I changed out the master cylinder last year and I have bled the **** out of these brakes!

Any thoughts? My only thought is I still have a hydraulic problem - although the front disc brakes seem to work, OR I still have not gotten these rear shoes adjusted properly to the drums.

Please help! Thanks!
ryan
32 REPLIES 32

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The drums may have been turned and are over sized. Take the drums to a NAPA store and have them measured, inside diameter.

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Stew - I had a friend stop by, so we tried to adjust them a bit more - and that seems to have worked (thought I would try the simplest thing first). Brake lines have been replaced and I've troubleshooted the RABS valve and system for months (haven't eliminated it as a possibility).

I'm no brake drum expert - done plenty of discs - but I guess I just couldn't tell if they were adjusted "tight" enough...I'm still concerned that they might be too tight and overheat, but I at least have rear brakes.

Pedal is still soft and spongy though...

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Keep adjusting. Also I had a 98 Winnie and the brakes weren't inspiring. I changed out the fluid and it improved a bunch. That wouldn't cause you to still be able to turn drum.