cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC Eagle or 2012 Monaco

G_C_S_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm deciding between a 2012 Monaco Knight 40'PDQ Quad Slide with a MaxxForce 10-350 HP Allison 6 Speed Roadmaster Raised Rail Chassis for $149K(mint condition)or a 2006 AC Eagle 42R Tag with 525 Cat for $168K. I'm not familiar with the reputation of Monaco but from what i'm understanding this motor is a "Regen" and has known cooling problems. Obviously the 2006 is 6 Years older (did i mention the 525 Cat?)but again I'm reaching out for opinions on personal experience or even more issues to be advised of since i have not read read all that is on the web over the last 4 months in regards to these 2 Coaches. Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
FlintlockCG wrote:
You don't mention the mileage/ condition of the AC but that would be my choice unless there was some glaring problem. The Monoco is a post Navistar International year and I have read some negatives about that (otherwise Monoco is an excellent coach).

You will hear negatives about any coach. Seems most folks are pretty happy with there Navistar International coaches. I know after 3-1/2 years and 25k miles of fulltime use in ours, we really haven't had all that many problems to deal with.

Although I too like the AC Eagles

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Another positive for the Eagle is the great tech support system from American Coach. The folks at the 800# will even walk you through a problem until it's fixed.
2014 American Eagle

FlintlockCG
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention the mileage/ condition of the AC but that would be my choice unless there was some glaring problem. The Monoco is a post Navistar International year and I have read some negatives about that (otherwise Monoco is an excellent coach).

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I assure you that the 2006 American Eagle has a one piece fiberglass roof. We had a 2005 Revolution LE that had a fiberglass roof, so I am sure the Eagle did also. I believe that the Eagle had a fiberglass roof back before 2000. It might have always had the fiberglass roof when it came out in 1992 or 1993.

Ed Headington

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of a 2012 Maxxforce 10 I can tell you there are loads of untrue comments made by non-owners. The 10 series has very few issues, no more than any other engines of the same time period. The larger 13+ engines have the problem EGR system and are no longer in production. I am at 36,000 miles and have yet to do a forced regen. The key is to have the ECM updates done, run it hard and limit idling.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Eagle all the way, over most anything for me. One of my dream coaches.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
G.C.S. wrote:
Thanks Mike!

2012 knight brochure
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

G_C_S_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
G.C.S. wrote:
I am leaning toward the AC due to the better engine and some other amenities but I'm waiting for confirmation if it has a rubber or fiberglass roof. I had a RR with our Forest River 5th Wheel and the maintenance along with the streaking over the Gelcoat was irritating. The hope is that it has a complete fiberglass roof like the Monaco.

Maybe This will help. Looks like one piece fiberglass.
2015 Wrangler JKU

G_C_S_
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaning toward the AC due to the better engine and some other amenities but I'm waiting for confirmation if it has a rubber or fiberglass roof. I had a RR with our Forest River 5th Wheel and the maintenance along with the streaking over the Gelcoat was irritating. The hope is that it has a complete fiberglass roof like the Monaco.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have made 2 bad picks. The big Cats in that era are problematic. Do a Google and be prepared for lots of reading. It is probably a twin turbo with a horrible EGR system. I would avoid the Maxforce although there are many on this forum that claim to have few problems.

Moisheh

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Between those two I would go with the Eagle.

Same here. I don't think the Knight is in the same class as the Eagle. Also, I'd surely want the Cat over the Maxforce.
2014 American Eagle

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Between those two I would go with the Eagle.
2015 Wrangler JKU

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
Cat is the best bet by far but go for the floor plan you like best thats more importain than a moter youll never wearout