cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Bags

ddro
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a quick question about my air bag suspension system.
How much air pressure should I maintain them at?
We don't have a extremely heavy load and read that the minimum should be 40psi and the max is 80psi. What do most of you keep your pressures at for the best ride?
I don't tow a trailer or other vehicle and just carry a few items like grills, portable table, tools, etc in the storage areas,

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
I run 65lbs normally.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be interested to know where you got the minimum of 40 psi from. Typical minimum pressures are in the range of 10 to 15 psi (at least for things like the Firestone Ride-Rites).

Anyhow, I find somewhere around 40 psi works pretty well for me.

It really depends on the particular unit and partly on individual preference what would be the ideal air pressure. The "correct" way to set it is to figure out the ride height of an unloaded or lightly loaded chassis, add the load, and then set the pressure so the ride height is about the same. Since you can't unload your motorhome without completely tearing it to pieces, that method doesn't really apply.

You can get some idea by watching the height change as you add or remove air. You can probably get a better idea by doing some test drives at various pressures--too much air, and it feels like you have cinder blocks for shocks; too little, and it kind of wallows around.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
With my new Koni shocks I had my air bags at 15 PSI and it rode the best, nice and level also with full water tank . Unless I tow something with some tongue weight that's where it will stay.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We usually run 70-75 in our air bags depending if towing or not. That's on a 31' class c.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272