cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air operated stairs not working.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Our air operated stairs inside the door to our RV won’t go up flat to make the floor flat. They were not operating when we bought the RV. Sometimes they go about half way but basically they’re not working. When we turn the dial that operates them air just hisses out of it. Is that supposed to happen or do you think the dial is defective? I called Newmar to see if they have a new switch is but they don’t show a listing for it.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.
38 REPLIES 38

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Well I clicked that “picture” link and I don’t understand a word of it. LOL. All I can say is that the switch is not electrical. There are no wires going to it. There are just 4 tiny airlines going to it. It’s probably more of a valve than a switch. And it hisses when turned on. I’m wondering about the hissing. I can’t find anyone else who has one who can tell me if their switch hisses. If it’s not supposed to hiss then maybe I just have to change the switch to fix everything. It seems as though the switch/valve is not routing air to the step cover but just releasing air instead. Neither Google or YouTube have any info that I can find. But I’ll keep searching.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
How do I add a photo?

picture

this is what is post. Most times it works.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
How do I add a photo?

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
All air ones I have seen,and heard of, use an electric rocker switch in the dash, to run it up/out, and back. Also,usually a 2nd switch, by the steps.These switches control a air solenoid. If yours is different, post a picture of the "switch". The bottom line is you have a air leak that needs fixed.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again. We have since learned that these are called step covers. LOL. Shows how green we are at this. Knowing the name made it much easier to find you tube videos etc, but still no info on the air operated ones. Plenty on the electric ones though. So we’re still searching for help on this. Mostly just need to know if air is supposed to hiss out of the switch when turned on. If not then it just might be the switch because it hisses.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
Our RV is a 2000 Newmar London Aire. The hiss I hear is not coming from the cylinder. It’s coming right out of, or behind, the dial on the dashboard. Yes this controls the stairs inside the RV. Makes them go up flat so the front passenger wil have a floor.

I was looking for a picture of what is called a MAC valve but could not find it listed on your RV from Newmar. Give us a little time and Doug might stop by and there are other that have your system.

Might go over here. steps

We no longer have our Newmar and seems Newmar has change there help page. If your are the DYI person then a lot of help at irv2.com. They have section just on the Newmar.

Gene

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is a 2000 Newmar London Aire. The hiss I hear is not coming from the cylinder. It’s coming right out of, or behind, the dial on the dashboard. Yes this controls the stairs inside the RV. Makes them go up flat so the front passenger wil have a floor.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a air piston behind the step. Will see if I can find you a picture. Either the step is binding or maybe broke. The hiss is air escaping from the air cylinder. You are talking about to make it flat over the steps correct. Post back

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some good advice.

I have to say, I've never heard of pneumatic steps. I thought they were all electric. I learned something today. Thanks! 🙂

For those on here who do know more about this, it might be helpful if you could tell us the model and year of your Newmar. We've got some pretty knowledgable folks here, so hopefully you'll have your answer soon.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.