cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All switches off and main disconnect switched to off

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Something today really has me puzzled. Now I always have the main electrical disconnect switched to off ( I understand that's for house batteries). Now there are two other switches at floor level at the front door - main & aux. We were told when in storage always shut these two switches to off, and the main disconnect to off at the battery bank. So that is our routine.

Today I was trying to see how the new wheel covers fit and couldn't get them on until I raised the coach. So I jumped in and knew I had those switches off ( including the main) but thought I would see if it would start. Put in the key and everything turned on including those two switches, the engine and 12v lights at the front door (two lights in the ceiling). I didn't try any of the other 12v to see if they worked. But with the main off why would they? Or does the disconnect in the battery compartment just stop the converter from using the juice to power 120v?

I thought the purpose of those switches was to stop that from happening and draining the batteries. I suppose a complete disconnect of the negative battery cable is in store for this winters 6 month storage.

Sorry for so many questions lately but the MH is our first and it's definitely a welcomed learning curve.

By the way, I hear of others crawling under and working on their MH, even with ours raised up there isn't a lot of room and I'm surely not crawling under it, as I'm the guy you will read about in the news. How are you getting under them, ramps or jacks? I can't even get to the air tank pressure release valves unless its raised and the wheels turned to allow me to stretch in, with still not much room. Call me scared ( which I'm usually not), but trying to crawl in there and grab those between the wheel & fender leaves me leary. Stuff happens!
3 REPLIES 3

boba
Explorer
Explorer
on my fleetwood excursion, it doesn't matter if the switches are off, put in the key, turn the ignition and the two house switches automatically switch to on. must be on purpose.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
U'mmmm it would be much easier for us to help if we knew what brand/model of MH are we talking about?

Sorry, it was in my profile - Fleetwood 40x Expedition - 2013, I should have included it.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
U'mmmm it would be much easier for us to help if we knew what brand/model of MH are we talking about?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad