cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to lack of storage space

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to embark on an extended road trip shortly. Being both a class c and not an overly large one, I've been having concerns of storing all the stuff I anticipate needing. Biggest issue is the spare tire. I've seen some that say they don't need one. I'd rather not do a several thousand mile trip without, but the normal place where they stored it was in the under the bed storage place and that takes up a lot of room that could be used for other stuff. Other things taking up room are 2 inflatable kayaks, portable clothes washer, eu2000 + gas, external canopy and chairs, roller blades, wife's shoes. You get the idea. My 3 ideas would be roof mount, which is 10' up and difficult to access with heavy items, a rear bumper cargo mount, which would displace the bike rack, or getting a small enclosed trailer to haul all that stuff. I'm kind of liking the idea of a small trailer except for the part about actually towing something. Parking and backing up would be more limited. Does anyone use a small trailer like the wells cargo service wagon? What would I look for, and how do they handle being pulled down the freeway? I'd need one big enough to put all the above mentioned stuff plus a couple of bicycles since I'd be using the tow hitch for towing instead of holding the bike rack.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
49 REPLIES 49

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My '98 Coachmen mounts the spare tire under the frame using a winch mechanism. I think this is a fairly standard Ford mechanism, and it or something similar should be not too hard to come by at a junkyard. There's a tubular shaft with a hex head on the end that reaches to the sidewall, with a little plastic cover over it. To raise or lower the spare, it's just a matter of spinning it about a zillion turns with a 20mm socket (I think it ends up being 20mm).

Beyond that, another option is to see about leaving some things behind...not popular, but perhaps doable. Do you have an awning such that the canopy could be done without? Can you do laundry at a laundromat? Do you have a built-in generator that could be used when needed instead of the Yamaha? These do all involve trade-offs, of course, but it may be less of a hassle (and expense) than towing a trailer.

Towing small trailers really isn't all that hard, however, provided they're set up decently well. Backing a short trailer with the motorhome and its relatively long rear overhang is a bit trickier, but far from impossible. Maybe if you'd generally find the trailer useful for other things it may be worthwhile to get.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pick up trucks have them up underneath, not easy to get to but still it's there, if and when you need it.
Portable clothes washer,interesting.....

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a small Kendon motorcycle trailer, bike and trailer weigh 900#, behind my 24' Class C and it tows like a dream {8,000+miles this year alone}. Not only can I not see it, I can't even to begin to feel it back there. When it is time to backup {which I generally avoid where possible}, it is a PITA being a short single axle trailer but still quite doable. I put a set of Maxxis' on it, never exceed their 65 mph rating and carry a spare {13"}, for the trailer in my storage bay and have always carried all of the tools necessary to change either a coach or trailer tire.

The rear camera gives me a great view of the trailer when in reverse but being an older/simpler camera it does not display while driving down the road. If I did not enjoy riding my Harley so much I probably would not pull any trailer as it robs me of the 24' overall length that we sought when buying our Class C and leaves us at just under 35'.

I had Nexus weld a custom spare tire mount up under the rear overhang of the coach and this has worked very well. The rear bumper is a poor location to bolt anything on and your hitch receiver isn't much better for a large load. You are correct in not wanting to travel without a spare, just asking for trouble.

:C

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Front bumper mounted spare tire carrier. Just be sure to leave enough room for airflow and to open and service under the hood 😉

It is noticeable, but not uncommon.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We don't tow, so I cannot provide any detailed info on trailers. But, one thing I picked up from those that do tow is to be sure you stick to the speed rating on the trailer's tires. You may not be able to travel as fast as you are used to.