cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Started to look into some water damage in the kitchen of our 83 Pace Arrow. The more I looked, the more I found. I have some pics of the damage so far. Anyone interested in following a rebuild thread?
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.
8,452 REPLIES 8,452

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
It's always a good idea to create a jig when you have repetitive tasks to do. I had to cut 250 wine corks in half lengthwise for a backsplash we are putting in the MH so I made a simple jig for the bandsaw. Just line them up and push them through. Much easier and quicker than trying to do them one at a time by hand. Also much less likely to saw the tip off a finger as well.

Have you chosen the material for the inside wall covering yet? Are you going to go with wood as you had contemplated earlier?

Yes, I like a picture of the wine cork backsplash as well. That sounds awesome....

Al

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
It's always a good idea to create a jig when you have repetitive tasks to do. I had to cut 250 wine corks in half lengthwise for a backsplash we are putting in the MH so I made a simple jig for the bandsaw. Just line them up and push them through. Much easier and quicker than trying to do them one at a time by hand. Also much less likely to saw the tip off a finger as well.

Have you chosen the material for the inside wall covering yet? Are you going to go with wood as you had contemplated earlier?

Pictures! Pictures! I want to see a wine cork backsplash!

As far as wall covering, it's not going to be the same throughout the coach. I plan on breaking it up a little, between the front half and the back half.

I'll have to finalize that with the wife. It would be nice to use 4 x 8 sheets, but I'm not sure it will all end up like that.

At least part will probably end up being wainscot, most likely in the Living area.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
I was working at the Air Force base in Galina Alaska and was asked to cut plywood in 1.50" strips. did the same as you. Wow how did you cut so straight I was asked? Just used a skill saw with a grin.

chevman

Cool!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I was working at the Air Force base in Galina Alaska and was asked to cut plywood in 1.50" strips. did the same as you. Wow how did you cut so straight I was asked? Just used a skill saw with a grin.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Here is why this one is not quite ready to screw fast. This is a pic that shows the corner of the rear wall, and the side wall. Rear wall is the red circle, side wall is the yellow circle.

The blue arrow shows a weld holding the 2 together. As such, anywhere the plywood will need to be screwed to an area where a weld is, I need to notch the back of the plywood, so it fits well. Fortunately, there will only be a few of these that needs to be cut.

So that winds up tonight's posts.

All in all, it's easier to cut these strips with a portable saw, rather than using a table saw.

By the way, I was almost done cutting the 3rd piece of plywood, (the third 2' wide piece), when the first battery died. I replaced that and finished up on the second battery.

They were 4.0 amp hour Ryobi batteries. Just in case you are interested.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Here is the start of putting one of those pieces in place. This is cut to length, and almost ready to be glued in, and screwed fast to the steel joists.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
So, I cut 4 sheets of plywood, (2 x 8 sheets), into this. A nice stack of roughly 3 inch wide plywood.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
As you could see in the prior picture, all I needed to do was to hold the saw with the plywood attached, up against the plywood, (red circle), and that set the width of the piece that I was cutting.

In this case, I was cutting just slightly under 3" strips. As soon as this was cut, I just started cutting another. Move saw to the left and cut again.

Lather, rinse, repeat! Lol.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Ok, here is why I really did it. The red circle indicates the plywood, that I had Home Depot cut into 24" widths, and that is what I was cutting into strips.

Here I am in the middle of a cut.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Why did I do all of this? So I could create all of this......

Sawdust! I wanted to make sawdust! Oh, you don't believe that? Good. That means you have good instincts! Lol.

See next post.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
I then put a piece of plywood (green arrows) next to the scrap piece I had cut, and screwed this piece to the bottom of the saw.

The red rectangle, shows where the scrap wood had been, and this piece has 3 screws holding it to the bottom of the saw.

The reason for the scrap wood was to set this plywood "fence" so that I could cut a bunch of plywood strips the same width, without any hassle.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
This pic shows the bottom of my Ryobi portable cordless circular saw. I laid the scrap piece of wood against the saw blade - indicated by the red arrows.

I made sure that the wood was SLIGHTLY against the front and back teeth of the blade, indicated by the yellow circles.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Today, I did indeed manage to get out to the motor home and get some work done. Yay!

I took a scrap piece of scrap wood, and cut it to size, shown below.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
ro_sie wrote:
fulltimin, its great that you had family time. Dont regret it. Nothing on earth is more important than your children and your Grands!

Thanks. I don't regret time spent with them. During my years of being self employed in computer repair, build, and rebuild, whenever someone came into the shop and wanted to talk, everything else came to a halt.

With very few exceptions, no matter what we're doing, people are always more important than the task at hand.

Years ago, Harry Chapin sang a song called "Cats in The Cradle". It describes a man who had a son, and all during his life, he never had time to spend with his son. Eventually the man grows older, and he discovers that his son grew up just like him. He basically missed most of his son's life.

Here's a link to a youtube video of the song.

Definitely a song with a message, unlike some of the other junk out there.