cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Started to look into some water damage in the kitchen of our 83 Pace Arrow. The more I looked, the more I found. I have some pics of the damage so far. Anyone interested in following a rebuild thread?
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.
8,452 REPLIES 8,452

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
jmaotto wrote:
You will have a high climb to enter and a long way down when you stop on the road.

The height from the floor of the motor home to the ground won't change. The only thing that changes is, the first step will be outside, instead of inside the motor home.

That's why I asked the question, in case there is something I am missing in my thought process.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. You'd need an industrial strength set of slides to attach the stairs to. 300 lbs each. The stairs would need to collapse of course. Four stairs ought to do it. Then there would need to be a cover of some sort to keep road debris from gumming up the works. And finally, the whole assembly would need to be electrically extended and retracted so you don't have to jump outside when you stop somewhere, with an actuating switch at hand level outside to get back inside.

Doable, but not inexpensive. It's probably easier to build a stairwell inside the house. And attach a 1 or 2 step electrical stair assembly underneath.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
You will have a high climb to enter and a long way down when you stop on the road.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
One of the annoying things in some motor homes are the steps. Many of them take up room inside the coach, that makes it annoying to use that space when the door is closed.

Why? Some travel trailers and fifth wheels have all of the steps outside the trailer, and the floor is flat inside the door.

I think I will be doing that with this rebuild. Putting the steps outside and having the floor flat just inside the door will allow that area to be used temporarily with a chair, or something else, without any danger of "falling into the hole" inside the door. Lol

If anyone has a good reason why that should NOT be done, feel free to educate me, before I do it.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Ok, here is another possible floor plan, with the yellow lines indicating windows, and the red line indicating the new location of the door.

The left side would be right next to the drivers and co-pilots seats, and the right side would be the rear - obviously.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Ok, back to the pic with things laid out. This is not necessarily how it will end up, but it is a starting point, and you can easily see how to move things around, and you will know in a hurry if it will fit.

Just make sure you measure your devices accurately, and it's all good.

Now before you tell me - this is old technology - we use cad software and can do all that in a hurry.

I know that. If you already have cad software and are experienced using it - go for it.

I don't, and by the time I learn the program, and do this, I can use this antique method, and be constructing things, long before I am done with the computer.

This method works fine, takes little time, and virtually anyone can do it, even with no computer.

After all, we only have a rough 8' x 19' box. We are not designing a 100,000 sq ft building.

So, have at it, if it's of any use to you.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Here, I flipped over the dinette/table and chairs, so you can see how the graph looks. 1 square = 1/4 foot, or 3 inches.

So, if you need something 2 feet - you count off 8 blocks and cut. Now we have things laid out to size, and it is easy to see how much room we have available to walk around, and so on.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Next, I created some paper templates of the items that I need to put inside this box.

I measured items that I already have for size, and created some templates for some that I don't have yet.

I cut out some templates of a stove, fridge, shower, commode, shower, table and chairs or dinette booth - same size, sofa, and counter with sink.

Since I have the windows and door laid out, now all I have to do is move my templates around until I come up with a floor plan I like.

Simple, huh?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Ok, tonight we have another look into redesigning the interior of our motor home. This is a technique that works very well, is easy enough for almost anyone to do, and actually takes only a little time.

First, I created some graph paper, since I had none, and didn't see the need in spending money to get some. I only need a few pages, so I printed a blank spreadsheet with the graph lines, in 1/4" squares.

Comes out just like graph paper, but only took a couple minutes, and I was good to go. Since we are doing 1/4" per foot, the lines are equal to the internal size of our motor home.

So, as the first step, I took measurements of the window size and location and marked that on the graph paper. They are shown here in yellow. I simulated a door, on the same side, near the back, in red.

Bruce_Brown
fulltimin wrote:
So, we are back to the original drawing, as we can now see how the frame of this thing fits together.

Piece of cake, isn't it.

Hey, it's not rocket science, although there are a lot of pieces that fit together, they fit together rather simply.

Agreed on the "it's not rocket science" part. When I did our TT I kept saying "the people who built this were not smarter than I am - I can figure it out".

That wasn't knocking them or boosting me, it was more of a statement of sometimes we over complicate things. It's just a big box, nothing more, nothing less.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:
It would be pretty cool if you made us an overhead view like the one above every so often showing where you're putting stuff...like the hot tub and the wine chiller.

Hey, I can't give away all my secrets......Lol....

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
So, we are back to the original drawing, as we can now see how the frame of this thing fits together.

Piece of cake, isn't it.

Hey, it's not rocket science, although there are a lot of pieces that fit together, they fit together rather simply.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
On this next drawing, we have the roofing attached to the walls.

In the corner, there is a green angle steel, which is bolted to the top of the wall studs/top plate.

That angle is also bolted (blue) to a piece of 1.5 x 1.5" square tubing, which is part of the roof. There also, is a piece of aluminum on the inside corner, (green), which is bolted into the steel angle. That red piece of 1.5 x 1.5 inch steel is then welded to a piece of 1 x 1.5" roof joist.

The joist is covered by 1/2 inch plywood. Not the entire roof, just the joist. Then the entire roof is covered by 1/8" plywood, which is covered by fiberglass.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It would be pretty cool if you made us an overhead view like the one above every so often showing where you're putting stuff...like the hot tub and the wine chiller.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
This next diagram is a larger version of the flooring being attached to the walls, or the walls being attached to the flooring, which ever you prefer.