Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

Plusit
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Dan!

Questions: Does the house battery on a the Trail-Lite B+ get charged (by the genset and/or the engine) when the battery disconnect is on or off? In other words, does it matter?

And finally, does one charge the battery faster or more efficiently than the other?

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what they called the old Trans Vans (from Champion I believe), but some of those were pretty long. I was pretty hot to buy one of those until I found the Trail Lites about a year and a half ago.
I must say that, while I have been quick to point out deficiencies, I have really enjoyed my B+ over the past year. Not only has it fit very well in my professional work, but it has provided me access to my work weeks earlier than would have been possible if I had to travel to a fixed office or use a regular vehicle to see my clients. I have been able to briefly rest, fix meals, relieve myself, and drive easily to the extent that I was at work (at about 75 - 80% of my pre-operation efficiency) within two weeks of major surgery.
Now, a little over a month later, I am back close to my regular routine, even though I am still recovering from the surgery. I can not imagine a better tool for my work in this (or my regular work environment)situation.
Dan
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S

ARcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
They are stretching the "B+" designation to new limits..... It's bigger than some of their "C" rigs.....

Maybe Prevost should build a 40' rig with a B+ designation ๐Ÿ˜‰
2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

wlbjrincctx
Explorer
Explorer
Another entry from Trail-Lite.

http://www.campersfactoryoutlet.com/mh-trailltframe.html

Go to the Condor B+ link.

I do not know nor have I found any specs on this unit. It seems to come under the heading, you think about it and we will build it!

*This Message was edited on 10-Mar-03 07:33 PM by wlbjrincctx*
Larry B
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

http:/www.196th.org/

bigmac112233
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with mileage figures but I just drove the 6.0 in a B+ yesterday. I have also driven the 8.1. I liked the 6.0 much better than the old 5.7 (in the B+). If I had bought the B+ I would have got the 8.1 (the 8.1 was a rocket!!) as the 5.7 felt underpowered (to me). The 6.0 feels just right. I own a BT Cruiser with the v10. The smaller and lighter B+ that I drove did feel much like my Cruiser (23' slide) and I didn't feel like I had to rev up the 6.0 to get to the power like I do with the v10. I was very impressed with the 6.0.

darger
Explorer
Explorer
You stated last year you had purchased a BT Cruiser 24'. How do you like it? Any complaints.
Regards
rd

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I actually get 10-10.5 mpg. I commute in my vehicle (and use it for an office). To me that means driving with commuting traffic at those speeds, so realize that I am driving 70+ mph alternating with urban traffic (and road conditions). In that environment, with about 1 hour of generator time per tank in the winter months, I have been in the range above. The only trip I made was to Colorado/Arizona and drove at least as fast as I would have in a car and got about 10 mpg. I suspect that if one would drive 60-65 mph, 12 is reachable. Now, the 8.1 engine is an improved version of the 454, and I suspect that it gets better mileage than the 454 in spite of having substantially more power. The story about the 6L engine is similar. I am frankly not as familiar with that engine, except that I know it is a "small block" engine. I believe that it has modern valve/cam technology, but is basically the same design as the small block chevy engines of old. The 5.7L engine would get about 12, and I suspect that the 6.0 would get about 12-13 in similar driving to what I do. As much as I LOVE that big block engine, I would have gotten the 6.0L engine if it were available last year. It has almost as much horsepower as the Ford 6.8, and I suspect that it has enough extra power for most towing needs anyone could imagine. If your plans are to tow over 5,000 lbs routinely (which would require a different hitch), maybe the Ford is a better choice. My suggestion if you are trying to decide, is to drive both drivetrains, and compare the stability, room, smoothness, and power on the road. Then add about 1-2 mpg, and see how your decision feels.
It would be difficult to get much better information in comparison from other drivers, unless they have driven both drivetrains in a similar manner (as far as mileage goes), and you deserve to drive both for your own decision.
Dan
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S

lopakamac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about the Trail-Lite B-Plus. I have read through every post since Daniel C. started this and it has been a BIG help to us. We went to an RV show, here in Detroit, last Thursday and will return again this afternoon. The new 2003 B-Plus can has the option of the Chevrolet Vortex 6.0L V-8. Does anyone have any experience with this engine? I seem to recall Daniel C. saying he gets 10-12 mpg with the 8,1L which is no longer available, Does anyone have good stats on the mpg for this 6.0L engine?

THANKS Daniel for starting this topics.

Lopaka Mac
Bob & Shaaron
U.S. Army, Retired
2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular
Life Member Good Sam

PUPTENT
Explorer
Explorer
Happy March, everybody. Enjoy the open road!
PUPTENT - Barry and Wife
2003/02 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel RD V8
Novato, California (SF Bay Area)

"I never met a campfire I didn't like."

RexD
Explorer
Explorer
The reason for the B+ designation is that it means something. Bs are vans and, let's face it, small. Too small for some people. Cs are big, and we all know the downfalls of Cs...that is in most cases what swung us to looking at Bs. The B+s are in most cases an honest attempt to achieve something in between, and for the most part they have succeeded. They really are a different class, they really aren't Cs or Bs, they are a hybrid of both types of RV thinking.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya

PUPTENT
Explorer
Explorer
What converted van sits underneath a Phoenix Cruiser, a Gulfstream BT Cruiser, or a Trail-lite? These are Class C motorhomes (C- IMHO). Even though you are adding one foot to the chassis of a PW Ford Excel you are converting a stock Ford van chassis.
PUPTENT - Barry and Wife

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2 B or not 2 B+ ; that is the question
Dan
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S

barr_xx
Explorer
Explorer
In my mind it's a class B be if it uses the stock van frame. If it uses an extended length frame it's a class C. It's not the witdh of the coach that makes it a C its the length. MYOP.

Steve

*This Message was edited on 28-Feb-03 05:09 PM by barr_xx*

*This Message was edited on 28-Feb-03 05:11 PM by barr_xx*
Steve

wlbjrincctx
Explorer
Explorer
You are right.

*This Message was edited on 26-Feb-03 09:34 PM by wlbjrincctx*
Larry B
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

http:/www.196th.org/

PUPTENT
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it is simple. The PW Ford /Dodge widebodies are B+. The RT 200 is a C-. All currently called B+ motorhomes are C-. If it isn't a van conversion, then it can't be a B anything. All current B+ motorhomes are listed in RV books as Class C motorhomes. A B+ mh would be adding to a B, not taking away from a C, as the B+ mh do.

Where did the B+ designation for cutaway vans come from? and for what purpose - marketing?

No wonder so many newbies are confused as to what they are looking at at RV shows.

There - I've vented. I feel good now. Time to go for a run.
PUPTENT - Barry and Wife