Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be sure that you winterize

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Hooked up the garden hose to the rv and got flooding through the floor (which should dry- right?). Removed boards and found the inner tank burst at the weld seam :E

My dealer wants 350.00 for one shipped to me. I found one much cheaper here; http://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-replacement-inner-tank-91641-p-27665.html?action=calc

Question, are these easy to replace myself? Is the product listed here everything I need to install?

Also, are there any videos that could help me along with this? Can't seem to find any.

Thank you very much!

Bob
10 REPLIES 10

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
If you're still interested in repairing the old tank Read this

Clicky

I can't stress enough how important those 20$ seals are. Make sure they are installed correctly.

The model I found is the same as mine G6A8-E

Here is my experience.
Clickyhttp://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27846410.cfm

Here is a complete assembly pull out old one put in new one done. For around 100$ more then attempting a repair of the old tank.

Clicky

ronfisherman
Looks like you are replacing a Water Heater Tank. With some mechanical skills should be able to do the exchange. If everything is included, you will need to contact the seller. What is model number of your Water Heater?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
hi-

I posted a link on my op to show model and price. Thanks for your reply.

Bob

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
Do your self a favor and pay the dealer to install new wh or buy a new one on ebay. You didn't list the model for price check.

The tank is replaceable but your life is not. There are special seals on the intake and exhaust if done incorrectly like mine were you will have co2 bellowing into the coach. They are a press fit and I'm very handy but the cost of a tank is half what a new complete water heater is replacing the whole thing is so easy compared to trying to fix it. My co2 alarm was maxed out and I'm still very angry that a tech or previous owner took such a life threatening shortcut

New water heaters are 350$ new on ebay you have to remove the wh anyway to fix so why not shove a new one in and be done with it.

Some people even get cheaper and try to weld on the busted area either way the seals which are around 20$ must be replaced and are a complete nightmare to attempt

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF your not real handy? have a lot of time? you might wanna let a dealer do it, and you,d be way a head to find out the other leaks, if the tank froze all the small stuff is in trouble to.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yeates689 wrote:
i guess what I need to know is if everything I need to install is included in the link I provided?

thank you for your input

Bob

I didn't know what all you will need to replace the tank and anything else that froze.
That website should have everything you need. If not check a hardware store or one of the big box home stores. They will probably have everything except the tank.
As far as I know, there is nothing special about RV plumbing. It's the stuff you use in your home.
If you need to replace plastic water lines, consider PEX and SharkBite Fittings.
The SharkBites cost a little more but, you don't need special tools.
And, it makes the job a lot easier.

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
i guess what I need to know is if everything I need to install is included in the link I provided?

thank you for your input

Bob

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for that-i will indeed. right now though I need info on just the inner tank.

Bob

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

I've never replaced a tank so, I don't know how difficult it will be.

Maybe ask the dealer what they want to install the tank, that should give you a relative idea of how long/difficult it is to do the job?

Did you check Youtube for videos on replacing the tank?

Trackrig is correct, check everything before replacing the tank. There may be other things that broke because of the freeze. It may be easier to replace them while you have the tank removed.

Please, give us an update when you finish the project. It may help another member.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since it was cold enough and long enough to freeze and break the larger mass in the tank, you may have other smaller "things" that would have frozen easier: Water filter, traps under the sinks and showers, faucets, water lines, etc. You may want to check the whole system before starting on just the tank.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.