cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best ride for the buck

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
While we are happy with our current set-up, we find ourselves missing the advantages of a Class A - especially when travelling long distances. Our truck rides very well, especially when towing and our only experience with Class A's are the entry level gassers we had about 8 years ago. We had a Thor ACE which was great for weekends but it was exhausting to drive. Loud, rattly, wandering, and bone shattering on expansion joints. So while my focus is buying a used DP ($60-80k range) and possibly updating the interior, I don't want to rule out a decent gasser if it rode nice enough. My experience with gassers is jaded, but maybe there are some out there that are quiet and well mannered. I can get a newer Gas obviously but I don't want that to be the only advantage. I know nothing about diesel engines if it matters and that could be costly. I am only looking at Newmar, Tiffin and Winnie - unless a Fortravel or some other high end comes up in my filter criteria. I'd like to be in the 36' or less length. So, do I set my sights on a DP only, or are there gassers out there that are quiet and smooth for long days in the saddle?

BTW, I am not trying to start a Dp vs gasser debate. Really more about whether there are decent riding gassers out there that would rival a DP ride for less money.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
15 REPLIES 15

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
We had an 2014 Jayco Precept that I hated to drive. I have a CDL, drive coaches & school buses. We put upwards of 4k in steering/handling improvements but it still was a bear to keep on the road with wind or passing semi's, the v10 though a very capable engine is NOISY and thirsty, best mpg we saw was 8.5 mph.
We traded it in for an older 07 Coachman Pathfinder, not a Tiffin, Newmar or Winnie all superior rigs, however much pricier.
We head to state parks on weekends, we don't sweat the dirt roads or the trees rubbing along the side of the rig as we head to our campsite. We paid under 70k, and it's a camper with comforts, muddy dog, accident prone grandkids, don't phase us.
I wanted a pre DEF, and a 5.9 Cummins because it's one of the best engines out there, yes it's a bit under powered at times but it's proven itself in pick ups, box trucks, school buses, motorhomes and boats. It's simplistic and parts are available, no issues getting service or maintenance done.
My hubby was amazed at how quiet this motorhome is to ride in and no bang from the expansion joints. He works while I drive.
With older units often you are limited in financing, we paid cash. It's older so be prepared to upgrade. We replaced A/C's, refrige, driver & passenger seats, plastic sinks, old faucets, upgraded all lights to LED and a new bigger inverter. Another 20k BUT it fits our needs, drives like a dream and we get 10 mpg doing the speed limit.
Figure out your wants/needs and I'm certain there is an older unit out there for you. Best of luck!