cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cab curtains

BIRDDOG-921
Explorer
Explorer
Need some feedback on closing off the cab with a curtain so that during travel your not cooling or heating the complete motorhome. Seems like the heater and airconditioner would not have to work so hard. It would also heat or cool a smaller space. Any ideas?
2008 Ford F350 Tuscany conversion
2010 Glendale Titanium 34E39RE Touring Edition
12 REPLIES 12

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first full summer that I've owned my coach and for every trip we've taken (even just to the shop for service), I've run the gen-set and the front ducted A/C. It keeps the DW and I comfortable and the coach is already cool when we stop. Plus, it gives the gen-set a good workout. Haven't really noticed a significant loss of fuel mileage either....maybe 0.5-1mpg less or so.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
It seems the people with the entry level MHs have that problem much more than those with high quality RVs. When I had my Mountain Aire I didn't have a problem. If it was over 95F I would run the generator & roof air but below that the dash air worked fine.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
BIRDDOG-921 wrote:
Effy Is that what most do? Why would you need to keep the whole rv cool or heated. Help!!!!!

I would say that's what most do if you want the whole coach comfortable. There are a lot of reasons to run the genset. It exercises it, it allows access to all your 110 items (outlets, microwave, runs the fridge instead of LP), Tv's and most importantly AC. Driving a coach alone causes a lot of residual heat from the engine, tranny and road. If you keep it cool while driving the systems don't have to work as hard or as long once you get to your destination. We travel as a family but even when it's just DW and me, we still run it. She can move about the coach in comfort, make lunch, sit in other areas than the co-pilot seat, take nap, watch a movie, whatever. To me that's sort of the purpose of a MH to have a rolling apartment and travel in comfort. Otherwise I would have gotten a truck and a TT. I would ask why you don't run the gen and AC? Is it because of cost? Because you're not really saving any money. The draw on your engine using the dash AC non-stop is probably close or worse than the paltry impact the gen set has on fuel usage. And you get the benefit of actually using your coach while travelling. I mean, that's why the system is set up the way it is. We like to enjoy our MH on the trip as well as the destination. That's why I bought it. But to each his own.
2013 ACE 29.2

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"BIRDDOG-921".....There are two camps when it comes to cooling. Some like to run their roof A/C's because many have their families and pets in the back. Others, just the two of them, don't need to cool the back, and don't want to run A/C.

On our previous coach, the dash air just didn't cut it past 1:00pm on hot days. We did the adjustable shower curtain rod with a clear plastic shower curtain. This extended our cooling a little longer, but we often turned on our roof A/C about a half hour before arrival at our campground to get a jump on cooling the coach.

With that said, I doubt there would be a big market for a curtain that many only use a couple of months a year and can buy a shower curtain for next to nothing.

I think there would be a bigger market for a curtain like you're discussing for Class C motor homes to divide the front cab from the coach. The over cab bed makes for a perfect spot to hang a curtain. When we had our class, we always hung an old army blanket down from the bed to block the cold and heat.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

BIRDDOG-921
Explorer
Explorer
My interest in these curtains are as follows. I own a company that we sew OEM canvas for boat mfgs. I just made a set of curtains for my brothers 2004 Fleetwood Revolution MH. I also have a company named Northstar Products so that we can sell to the public. This is research on whether it is feasible for us to offer such an item on our web site. Thought this would be a good place to start. I own a 40ft fifthwheel. Thank You

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Please let us know what motorhome you have-- that will help us give reasonable answers.

And, certainly, stretching a clear plastic shower curtain immediately behind the front seats will allow you to keep 2 people cool with the dash A/C.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BIRDDOG-921
Explorer
Explorer
Gooood Reason. Why didn't I think of that. It's just my wife and I so that's where my brain is at. Can we all say DAAAAAAAAA?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
BIRDDOG-921 wrote:
Effy Is that what most do? Why would you need to keep the whole rv cool or heated. Help!!!!!

Because there are 5 of us in the MH. And I would do it even if it were just 2 of us, I don't like to have to cool it after we arrive...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BIRDDOG-921
Explorer
Explorer

BIRDDOG-921
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks jhlady. Glad to hear that it works. I wonder how marine grade material will work.Did you need to cut them to fit?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you don't run your gen set and your ducted AC thus keeping the entire coach cool?
2013 ACE 29.2

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about a Class A, but we do that in our Class C and use some inexpensive thermal curtains behind the drivers compartment and it helps keep the hot/cool in the cab. I think it also help keep the heat from the windshield and dog house from getting back into the motorhome which keeps the whole unit cooler.

Hope this helps.