cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California License Req for Class A Motorhomes

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has probably been beaten to death but after everything I have read, I am fairly certain I am COMPLETELY confused.

So my wife and I want the largest MH we can get without having to get the non-commercial Class B license in California. According to the DMV site https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart
With our basic Class C license, we can drive ANY "house car" that is 40' or less.

So here is where the confusion/questions come in:
- If our MH is above 26,000 GVWR but less than 40', are we still ok with a Class C since the law states "ANY" housecar 40' or less?
- If other states require any type of CDL for a large MH, are we ok with our Class C if we're legal in CA (reciprocity) ?
- Can I assume that the MH's we are looking at that are marketed as "40 feet" but are actually 41.7 ft, for example, fall outside the Class C license and require us to get the Class B?

Thanks for the help. This will be our first MH and we will be full timing in it. We considered a 42" with a tag but my wife refuses to go through the licensing requirements (written and driving tests) in order to get the Class B...so I am thinking we'll need to find a nice 36-38 footer.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/
19 REPLIES 19

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is bumper to bumper but you probably won't have a problem unless you get stopped for some reason or are in an accident. I think it would take a real stickler of a police officer to actually measure your rig but it could be a problem in an accident.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you edited just as I posted and you now have it at 40'5". So bumper to bumper will likely keep you within the limits.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat is correct. Any other vehicle weighing over 26k GVWR requires the non-commercial class B or whatever is appropriate. Motorhomes are specifically exempted from the weight requirement. Now the length requirement does apply and it will go by the actual length of the motorhome, not to include things like bike racks, spare tires, mirrors, ladders, etc. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure bumpers are included so the measurement would be bumper to bumper regardless of what the length sticker on the motorhome says.

Now having said that, if you have a sticker on the side of your motorhome that says it's 40 feet long, I seriously doubt that any cop is going to get out there with a tape measure to find out it's really 41', but that's a risk you have to decide if you want to take. Check first on the Allegro and see what that extra 1'1" really is. It may be the front mirrors and the ladder combined, which would make you legal.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - that answers our first question.

The other burning question is the RV measured from bumper to bumper or is there some other place of measure. I ask because we're looking at a 40' Allegro Bus and stated length on that is 40' 5" I assume this is too big but just checking. (also I dont know if these measurements typically include the ladder or not, etc)
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Cally has the length requirement only; 40 feet or less and you don't need any special licensing.

CA DMV
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE