cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Child safety in a prevost

Kaynjay
Explorer
Explorer
We have a prevost as well as a newborn baby. We are wanting to take a trip to visit family in the next couple of months and I am clueless about child safety in a motor home.
Could anyone shed some light? It seems nearly impossible to attach a car seat in the prevost.. What do people do?

Is it legal to feed, change, play with your child while you are going down the road? I'm assuming the safety rules are quite different in a motorhome verses traditional car travel. We are clueless about this.

We don't use the prevost often, but feel it would be the perfect way to travel with a young child as it would be a home on wheels while we're away.

Any advice??
Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I would contact someone about installing whatever is necessary to properly secure a child safety seat in your RV near your captains seats. The front seats in your coach were not designed for a child safety seat.
As far as doing the things you ask in a moving RV, most of us just use common sense. Legally the laws vary from state to state and most do not cover Class A RV's. Even commercial buses allow people to get up and move around. There are times when it is not practical to be up and moving around, like in a city, twisting roads, mountain roads, inclement weather, etc. There are other times when on a nice straight interstate highway, most of us will allow some movement to use the rest room, grab something to eat or drink.
To move around for any length of time to play with a child, that may be pushing your luck. Again, just use common sense and think about what could go wrong. You are the parents and part of your job is to take care of your children who do not have the knowledge that you have.

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
It's a vehicle and the child must be in a restraint at all times, just like any car. And, to make matters more challenging, a baby must face backwards. That may be as hard to arrange in the Prevost as a forward facing seat for an older child. In our coach (a mere Monaco product), the only forward facing seat was the co-pilot's. Otherwise, the only seats with built in seat belts were the two couches. Am pretty sure that the law is clear on this.